Guide to coroner services
Welcome to the Nottingham City Council's Guide to Coroner Services. This comprehensive guide is designed to assist bereaved individuals and others affected by or involved in a coroner investigation or inquest. Navigating the legal formalities following a death can be challenging, especially during such a difficult time. The Coroner's Service is here to support you through this process, acting as the intermediary between you and HM Coroner.
Keeping You Up-to-Date
Your Coroner's officer is committed to keeping you informed about your case. Updates will be provided directly to you as soon as there is any progress. It's important to note that there may be periods without contact, but rest assured, this is normal. You will always be contacted with updates.
For more information, we recommend that the next of kin read the Guide to Coroner Services on GOV.UK for a detailed overview of the coroner process.
Upon reporting a death to HM Coroner, a dedicated coroner's officer will be assigned to your case. HM Coroner will carefully assess the information provided and take one of the following actions:
- Issue a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death: In cases where the death is deemed natural, no further action will be taken.
- Order a Post Mortem Examination: Depending on the results, the Coroner may
- (a) close the case if the death is found to be natural,
- (b) open an investigation to gather additional information, or
- (c) open an inquest, a fact-finding court hearing about the circumstances of the death.
- Open an Inquest Without a Post Mortem Examination: This option will be explained to you by the assigned officer.
If You Have a Query Regarding the Process
Understanding that many families have concerns, particularly about potential delays in the funeral process, we strive to complete the Coroner's inquiries promptly. While our goal is to minimize delays, HM Coroner may instruct further investigation. Your assigned case officer will keep you informed at each stage, addressing any queries you may have about the process.