Find out more about your bin collections and how to correctly recycle your waste. Please note that garden waste collections run from the beginning of April until the end of October.
When is my bin day?
You can now find out your bin collection dates for the year ahead, including Christmas and Bank Holidays by using our new online postcode finder tool. All you need to do is type in your postcode below and click 'Check my bin day' below.Check My Bin Collection Day
All your collection details will be provided; you can also download your bin collection calendar for the next 12 months here.
Please remember to have your bin out for collection by 7 am and be aware that severe weather may affect our collections.
Garden waste collections will be on the same day as your recycling bin but at a different time.
- You shouldn't put your bin out any earlier than 4 pm the day before your collection day or leave them out later than 8 am the day after
- Please do not put your bin out more than eight hours before collection and bring it in no more than eight hours after it has been emptied
- Wheeled bins can be used as a tool for burglary or fire. Bringing your bin back in promptly will help to prevent this
- Please make sure your bin is presented safely and it does not cause an obstruction
- Please place the bin by the kerbside of your home, or at the agreed point
We all like to recycle as much as we can but do you know what rubbish should go where? By following the simple guidelines below you can help reduce contamination in your recycling bins and #recycleitright:
1) Do not put your recycling in plastic carrier bags, simply put it freely in your grey lidded recycling bin
2) These common household itemsbe recycled:
- Pizza Boxes (if these are contaminated with grease)
- Large Cooking Oil Can (these can be taken to the Household Waste and RecyclingCentre in Lenton)
- Tetra Paks or Juice Cartons
What goes in which bin?
As well as collecting household waste for residents within the city boundary, the Council also offers recycling collections for plastic, paper and card, garden waste, glass and food waste.
Unfortunately, not all of our recycling services are currently available to all households. If you would like to know which recycling service is available in your area then please call our Waste Management team on 0115 915 2000.
Most homes have a green bin for their household rubbish. Depending on the recycling service you have this bin will either be collected once a week or once every two weeks, on the same weekday.
We have a grey lidded brown bin for the collection of plastic, paper, tins and cardboard. We will collect the recycling and composting one week and the remainder of your waste (in the green bin) the following week.