Facebook Pixel
Commissioners appointed |

The Government has announced that Commissioners are to be appointed for Nottingham City Council.  For further information, the council’s response and FAQs can be read here.

The Visual Impairment Service

The Visual Impairment Service offers a social care and rehabilitation service to children and adults with a visual impairment. Anyone with a visual impairment can be referred to us, but if you are not sure whether our service is appropriate then give us a call and we will advise you.

The Service is staffed by experienced Rehabilitation Officers, who have knowledge and skills in rehabilitation that can enable people to continue with many activities, both in their own homes and in their local communities. We can also enable people to learn new skills.

Our services include:

  • Developing your skills such as mobility to enable independent travel
  • Helping you with daily living tasks such as preparing meals and managing money
  • training in communication such as learning Braille and typing skills advice on technology such as access software and accessible mobile phones
  • Advice on the provision of social care support such as Direct Payments or Self Directed Support
  • Advice and information about applying for specialist equipment and funding
  • Access to other organisations and services such as supporting applications for Guide Dogs and Talking Book Machines
  • Referral to other services such as housing support, benefits advice or occupational therapy

Assessment: In order to find out what type of support you may need we will ask you, your family and friends for help in completing an assessment.

As a result of this assessment we may recommend to you a programme of rehabilitation, other services and/or specialist equipment. For some services you may need to be assessed for your ability to make a contribution towards your care under the Fairer Charging scheme.

Registration: To be certified as severely sight impaired/ blind or sight-impaired/partially sighted your GP needs to refer you to the consultant ophthalmologist at the Eye Clinic in your local hospital. A copy of the certificate is then sent to the Team for Registration purposes. We will then contact you to give you information, advice and to discuss our services.

A text and reply service is in operation for citizens and the representatives/carers on 0794 4040073. This is available 09:00 - 5:00pm excluding bank holiday and weekends. This is for the use of citizens only.

Other Support

You can find support and services for visually impaired people on the Notts Help Yourself website 

Other relevant services 

Sight Impairment