Parents have a responsibility to make sure that their child is educated. Most children attend school for their education, but parents have the right to educate their child at home (homeschooling), formally called Elective Home Education (EHE).

  • You do not have to be a teacher, operate to a timetable or follow the National Curriculum (although you can if you wish)
  • If your child has never been to school, or you are new to the area you do not have to inform the local authority
  • Parents who choose to educate their children at home must be prepared to assume full financial responsibility, including the costs of any public examinations.

If you choose to home school your child:

  • If your child is registered at a School or an Academy, you must send a letter to the Head Teacher informing them that you wish to educate your child at home
  • The Local Authority will then contact you to ask for some basic information.

Useful Links

Supporting private candidates to access GCSE, AS, and A level grades

The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) has today (Tuesday 20th April 2021) published a list of centres that are willing to support private candidates, including home educated students and adult learners, to access GCSE, AS, and A level grades this year.

The Department for Education is providing a private candidate support grant to centres of £200 per private candidate entry, so that candidates can access a centre at a similar cost to a normal exam year. Private candidates who have not yet found a centre to work with are encouraged to use this list to find a centre and make arrangements before the entry deadline of Monday 26 April.

The list covers centres offering GCSE, AS, and A level, while for other general, vocational, and technical qualifications, candidates should approach the awarding organisation directly for assistance.