Skip to main content

Will the Council pay for my Homecare:

Social care is rarely free. More often than not, you'll have to contribute to the cost of care. The amount you pay depends on the level of need and the amount of assets you have.

  • If you have savings of less than £23,250, the council will generally help towards the cost of care. 
  • If you have savings of more than £23,250, It may be that you'll have to pay towards the cost of your care. The more money you have, the more you'll be expected to pay.

How much does it cost to pay for my home care?

Self-Funding - If you’re paying fees yourself, you must arrange and pay for your own care. Nottingham City Council can offer help and support with this.

Costs for homecare - This can depend on the area you live in. The average cost is around £15 per hour. 

To find a home care agency:

  • The UK Home Care Association can give you details of home care providers that follow its code of practice. Visit: Home Care Association Website
  • Nottingham Health & Care Point should be able to provide you with details of approved private agencies. Visit: Nottingham Health & Care Point on Ask Lion
  • Friends and family - Ask friends or relatives for recommendations.

Can I get financial support to pay for my home care?

Make sure you’re claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to.

  • Attendance Allowance - is a benefit for people over the State Pension age who need extra help to stay independent at home due to an illness or disability.
  • If you’re under the State Pension age, you may be eligible for Personal Independence Payment instead
  • If you have a carer, they could be eligible for Carer’s Allowance.

Note - These benefits aren’t means-tested, so don't take into account your income and savings.


Further information

For information on the assessment and what it involves, please see Accessing Social Care Services Factsheet.


After we assess your care needs, we will create a care plan to help you. This plan will include a weekly budget for the support you need, called your personal budget. You can manage your personal budget in different ways. You can receive the money as a Direct Payment to your own bank account, so you can pay for your own care. Or, if you prefer, you can have someone you trust manage the payment for you.

Personal Budgets

A Personal Budget is an amount the Council has allocated to you to pay for your assessed Care and Support needs. This can either be taken as a private payment called a Direct Payment, or the Council can manage this budget for you and commission services on your behalf.

Direct Payment

This is a method of paying for your social care and allows for more choice and control over how and when care can be provided. Direct Payments work by providing you with the money so you can pay for the agreed services directly.

A Direct Payment allows you to:

  • Have control of when the services are provided.
  • Have an alternative to the Council buy services for you
  • Have a choice of a provider other than those who have a contract with the Council
  • Have a greater independence and responsibility for choosing and organising your own car

More Information

Please see the document below to learn more about how Direct Payments work in practice at Nottingham City Council.

Commissioned Services

You can find out more with our handy Council Commissioned and Contracted Services Factsheet.

Contact Nottingham Health & Care Point

If you need advice on where to get help and support, including what's available on care, disability, stroke, nursing services, community services, speech and others. Then by Calling the Health and Care Point, you will speak to someone trained in health and social care. In that case, they will understand the call and know where to get help if they can't resolve it themselves.

Was this page helpful?

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.