Skip to main content

Paying for Residential Care

Care and support is not a free service like the NHS, and most people will pay at least something towards the cost of their social care support.

  • Residential Care - Over £23.250 in savings - you are classed as self funding & will need to contact the care home directly.

If you have less than £23,250 in savings, Who pays for what can be complicated as it depends on your personal financial circumstances, such, as income, benefits, savings and any property you own. Nottingham City Council will carry out a financial assessment to decide what someone can afford to pay.

Two assessments must be carried out to see what care you need. .

  • The first determines what your care needs are and these are done by Health professional and Occupational therapists - More information see our  Social Care Needs Assessment pages.
  • The second looks at your financial circumstances, this defines how much you will have to contribute to any care you receive.

If you choose not to have a financial assessment, the council will assume that you can pay for all of the costs yourself.

For more details and to print information of paying for care and support, you can download our fact sheet below

The Deferred Payment Scheme (DPS) is designed to help people in care homes who have to pay the total cost of their residential care due to ownership of property/land and have savings of less than £23,250 but are unable to make payments in full as their capital is tied up in their property/land.

A deferred payment is a way of delaying the costs of care home fees against the value of your main home.

For more information on the agreement, please see our Deferred Payment Factsheet.

If you would like to apply for a Deferred Payment Agreement in Nottingham City, please contact

Adult Residential Services

Call: 0115 876 3672 EmailAdult residential services

Information and advice about care charges and signpost to sources of independent financial advice.

Many organisations will provide free, general advice about funding care and support. These are a good place to start if you are looking for information and want to see what sort of options is available to you:


How we collect and use information

We will use the information you give, and any supporting evidence you send, to process your Financial Assessment regarding Residential or Non-Residential services you currently are or will be receiving.

Nottingham City Council has a duty to protect public funds and also to ensure the information is accurate and to prevent or detect crime. We may verify or share information you have provided, or information you have provided about someone else for the purposes mentioned with the Department for Works and Pensions as allowed by the law.

We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless the law allows this.

Contact details for the Data Controller (for the purpose of the UK general GDPR 2016 and Data Protection Act 2018):

You can contact the data protection officer at:

The Data Protection Officer: Naomi Matthews.

Information Compliance Team
Nottingham City Council
Loxley House,
Station Street,

Email: Information Compliance.

Further Information

For more information about these rights please refer to our detailed privacy statement at:
Nottingham City Council Privacy Notice - Nottingham City Council

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.