Special Transport Needs
If you are the parent or carer of a child with special educational needs who has an identified special transport need, you may qualify for assistance with the cost of transporting your child to and from school.
Children may have special transport needs if they have:
- Additional needs or disabilities that place them or others at serious risk of danger during the journey to and from school
- A mobility difficulty or medical condition, which requires a specialised vehicle, e.g. Tail-lift access, High Dependency Vehicle’
If it is agreed that your child has a special transport need, the local authority may provide travel assistance in one of a variety of ways;
- A bus pass
- High Dependency Vehicle
- We may offer you a mileage allowance to take your child to school
- If travel assistance is provided and your child is travelling on their own, you may be asked to go with them.
- If the school is beyond walking distance, travel assistance arrangements will include your journey back home after dropping your child at school, and your journey to school to collect your child.
- If there is a group of children travelling together, the local authority will usually provide someone to go with them.
- All arrangements made for children with special transport needs will be kept under review and the nature of any travel assistance is likely to change over time; for example, as your child gets older, they may be provided with independent travel skills training and support to enable them to use public transport and to travel independently.
If you decide to send your child to a school that is further away than the nearest appropriate school with available places, travel assistance will not be provided.
Special Transport for Under 5s
Children aged between two and five years do not usually travel independently and would not therefore normally be eligible for travel assistance unless they have a special transport need (please see definition above). Some pupils under five may receive help with travel costs if they have significant special transport needs.
School Transport Policy
The following PDF Document contains more information about the 'Home to School and College Travel Assistance Policy', Click the button belowHome to School and College Travel Assistance Policy
Apply for Home to School Transport Assistance
Completing this service should take around 10 minutes.Apply for Home to School Transport
Special Educational Needs Service
Building 5 Woolsthorpe Depot
Tel: 0115 876 4300
SEN.Transport@NottinghamCity.gov.ukIs there anything wrong with this page?