Skip to main content

Permitted Developments

House Extensions

The permitted developments that we need to be notified of are:

  • Attached Houses: single-storey rear extensions between 3 metres and 6 metres
  • Detached House: single-storey rear extensions between 4 metres and 8 metres

You can check whether your proposed extension will require permission by using the Planning Portal website.

Change of Use

  • an agricultural building to another use (including residential and schools and nurseries)
  • a building from business to residential
  • a building to a school
  • commercial property to a childcare nursery
  • retail buildings to a bank or building society
  • retail buildings to residential

The Planning Portal Change of Use page contains more information on the Use Classes and the permitted changes.

There is a fee for notifying us of a permitted change of use, check fees for planning applications to find out the current fee.

You can pay via credit or debit card by calling 0115 876 4447 or visiting the council offices. Alternatively cheques can be made payable to Nottingham City Council and sent to Planning and Building Control.

You will need to submit a Site Plan with your notification.

Change of use notification form

If you have submitted a notification for a permitted extension you will need to let us know once your work has been completed. 

Completion notification form

If your proposals are permitted development, and you would like written confirmation that planning permission is not needed, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate


If your extension is above the thresholds, you will need to apply for planning permission. If your extension is below the thresholds, planning permission may not be required. You can check whether your proposed extension will require permission by using the Planning Portal's interactive house.

Article 4 Directions

Permitted development rights may not apply if your property is subject to an 'Article 4 Direction', or if the rights have been removed or modified by a condition of a previous planning permission.

In particular, if you are planning to rent out a property to a group of people, or increase the number of people living together in a shared house (a 'House in Multiple Occupation', or HMO) you may need planning permission because of an Article 4 Direction that applies across the city.

What happens once I have submitted my notification?

From the date we receive your notification (complete with all of the information required by the legislation), we have a period of 42 days to notify you of one of the following outcomes:

  • Prior approval is not required
  • Prior approval is given
  • Prior approval is refused

If you receive a refusal, you will have the right to submit an appeal to the Planning Inspectorate.

As part of the notification process we will serve a notice on adjoining owners or occupiers, i.e. those who share a boundary, including to the rear. This will give the address of the proposed development and describe it.  It will also set out:

  • When the application was received, and when the 42 day determination period ends
  • How long neighbours have to make objections (which must be a minimum of 21 days), and the date by which these must be received

If any adjoining neighbour raises an objection within the 21 day period, we will take this into account and make a decision about whether the impact on the amenity of all adjoining properties is acceptable.

Contact us

LH Box 5
Loxley House
Station Street

Tel: 01158764447

Contact Us Online
Was this page helpful?

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.