Looking for a new house, or already living in a rented property? It’s illegal for landlords and letting agents to charge fees for anything other than permitted payments. The only permitted payments are:

  • Rent
  • Holding deposit (capped at 1 week)
  • Security deposit (capped to 5 weeks)
  • Utility bills and council tax
  • Default fees (including key loss and rent arrears reasonable charges)
  • Changes to a tenancy at the tenant’s request (50 / reasonable costs)
  • Fees for leaving a tenancy early, known as termination charges (to cover
    the actual loss suffered by the landlord)

All other fees are illegal. Check out our guide on fees and other things to look out for here.

Having issues with your landlord or agent? We want to hear about it. Keep scrolling to find out how to report issues to us.

Report to Trading Standards

Is a landlord/letting agent: 

  • Charging fees that aren't listed above?
  • Failing to protect tenancy deposits or client money?
  • Using misleading images or descriptions on listings?

Report them to Trading Standards by phone on 0808 223 1133 or complete the form below.

Report to Trading Standards

Report to Safer Housing

 Has your landlord/letting agent:

  • Harassed you?
  • Mismanaged your home?
  • Operated without a licence from the Council?
  • Rented you a poor property that's really damp, without utilities, or in significant disrepair?
  • Or, if you've rented from an agency, do you know if they're joined a redress scheme?

Report them to Safer Housing

If you are a landlord or letting agent, see a copy of our advice letter on the Tenant Fees Act 2019 and other relevant consumer protection legislation here.