The Lord Mayor is the first citizen of Nottingham.
The Lord Mayor of Nottingham is Councillor David Trimble.
Dave Trimble was born in the east end of Glasgow. After leaving primary school his family moved from Glasgow to Luton, back to Glasgow and then to Nottingham in May 1970, he attended 5 different secondary schools in 3 years.
In Nottingham he has lived in the old Meadows, the old St. Ann’s, Clifton, Wollaton, Ruddington, Canning Circus, the City Centre and back to the Meadows.
Dave has worked as a printer and a coal miner and he became a member of the council in a by-election in October 1993, first representing Park ward then Dunkirk and Lenton Ward and Lenton and Wollaton East ward.
Dave has served on many service committees in the last 27 years and has been a Portfolio Holder for 19 years. For the last 14 years he has had the privilege to have been the Portfolio Holder for Leisure and Culture, overseeing a 10 year Leisure Centre Transformation Programme. As a result Dave has been involved in fabulous international sporting events including the Milk Race, Tour of Britain and the World Triathlon Mixed Relay and is particularly proud of hosting the Cerebral Palsy World Games.
He has had a lifelong passion for urban parks and open spaces and has led on the £30million Heritage Lottery backed transformation of Nottingham Castle since 2008 which is due to open to the public on 21st June 2021.
He is very much looking forward to his year as Lord Mayor.
- Preside over the meetings of the Council (full Council) as prescribed in the Local Government Act 1972, schedule 12, paragraph 5
- Receive members of the Royal Family and other important visitors to the city
- To act as a symbolic figurehead for Core City activity and host visits by Lord Mayors, councillors and officers from those cities
- Represent the City Council at traditional civic events such as the Legal Service, Remembrance Sunday the Civic Service etc
- Represent the City Council by attending external functions, which celebrate the contribution of organisations from all sectors to the life of the city of Nottingham
- To preside over Citizenship ceremonies to welcome new British citizens to the city of Nottingham
- Take salutes of military and voluntary organisations that either have the right to, or request the right to, march through the city
- To be the president of the Interfaith Council and visit places of worship for a range of faiths throughout the civic year
- To nominate a charity and help raise funds for that charity and the standing Lord Mayor's charities
- Quasi-judicial role of Lord Mayor to sign documents
The post of Lord Mayor's Chaplain is an honorary one, and as such is unpaid. The Chaplain's duties are to give spiritual guidance to the Lord Mayor and support on civic occasions.
The Lord Mayor’s Chaplain is Rev. Tom Gillum, St. Mary's Church, Lace Market.
For more information please contact the Civic Office:
Tel: 0115 841 5554
Find out about engagements the Lord Mayor will be attending over the next 2 weeks.
Previous Lord Mayors and Mayors - from year 1284 to present day
Find out about previous Lord Mayors of Nottingham.