Skip to main content

Landlord Responsibilities

You’re a landlord if you rent out your property. As a landlord you must:

  • Keep your rented properties safe and free from health hazards
  • Make sure all gas equipment and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained
  • Provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property

Information can be found on the Gov.UK site

Find a Trusted Trader

You can find trusted traders here.

Your landlord is responsible for repairs to the following:  

  • Hot water and heating
  • Gas appliances provided
  • Chimneys and ventilation
  • Electrical wiring
  • Exterior and structure of the home
  • Sinks, baths and toilets and their pipework
  • Any damage they cause by attempting repairs

Tenants remain in the house.

Tenants can remain in the home while work is carried out if safe to do so.

If tenants stay:

  • It’s a requirement that every effort is made to minimise the disruption of tenants’ quiet enjoyment.
  • Hallways and common areas need to be kept as clear as possible,
  • Utilities should still be available.

If Tenants can't live in the house

If the work is so disruptive that a tenant can’t live in their home, then somewhere else should be provided because a tenant is entitled to compensation if they haven’t been able to use their home or even part of it.

And once work on the home is done, it should be left clean and tidy.

NB, When it comes to an older building that may contain asbestos, there should be a properly qualified risk assessment before work starts. The public should never be exposed to asbestos fibres.

You can check here to see if a landlord needs to get planning permission or building regulations approval before works start at a property.

Remember there are four different standards and processes, and all have to be met:

  • Planning permission
  • Building regulations approval
  • Licence for the property, and
  • Compliance with HHSRS

All works have to meet Building Regulations standards, British Standards, or any other relevant Acts or Statutes.

Landlords must make sure that their tenants’ homes are secure from break-ins.

Not only that, if a burglary occurs because the property is deficient in some way, then the Council can take enforcement action to ensure that the property is secure.

Here’s a link to the level of property security needed:

Gas Safety Checks

  • To ensure that any gas equipment they supply is safely installed and maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer. You can check if an engineer is registered by looking at their ID card
  • To arrange for a gas safety check to be carried out at least once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer and provide a copy of the gas safety check record before you move in or within 28 days of the check. Electrical safety
  • Certificates should always be looked after because Safer Housing will need them for licence applications.

You can check if a contractor is registered on the gas safe website

Electrical System

  • The electrical system is safe, including sockets and light fittings
  • Any appliances they supply are safe
  • If someone’s working in the bathrooms or kitchens or putting in new installations, alterations, or additions to circuits, they need a certificate. (Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MEIWC).)

Various schemes exist, including NAPIT, NIC/EIC, ECA, and others.

Fire safety (including smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms)

Landlords should complete a Fire Safety Risk Assessment at their properties and provide additional protection.

  • Follow All safety regulations
  • All the furniture and fittings must be fire safe
  • Provide at least one smoke alarm in the correct place on each floor, tested and working before tenancy.
  • Provide a carbon monoxide alarm near boilers and other solid fuel appliances.

The Council uses the Lacors Fire Safety Guidance from the Chief Fire Officers Association.

Download PDF Doc Here - Lacors Fire Safety Guidance

Work replacing windows should be done by someone registered under the Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme (FENSA). Or they need to get a certificate from the Council’s Building Control which confirms that the work satisfies building regulations. Once again, a copy of the certificate must be kept, as we may need to see it.

Further Information

You can check here to see if a landlord needs planning permission or building regulations approval before works start at a property. 

Any property bought or rented out over the last 10 years will have an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) but if that hasn’t happened, then any new let must have one. They are valid for ten years, so there’s no need to get one every time a property is sold or rented out.

A new let cannot be rented with a rating as low as F or G. It wouldn’t be legal, and where it happens there is a fine to pay.

Where you claim an exemption from the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard, you will still have to provide a house free from hazards.

In the case of compliance notices, we can ask for information about the property itself, and if it’s not provided the Council has the power to issue fines.

Also, if in the last 18 months, it seems that a landlord has let sub-standard property, or hasn’t been complying with a Notice, or has misled with any information on the Exemptions Register, there could be a fine.

Landlords and property owners are responsible for maintaining all drains except lateral ones off the property boundary and may face enforcement action if a neighbour is affected.

  • For faulty shared sewers or blockages, one must report to Severn Trent.
  • If a neighbouring property's faulty drain affects one's property, it should be reported. F
  • Faults within drainage systems allowing rodents to enter are a public health risk and may require enforcement.

The council offers a service to assess if drainage system works are necessary, costing £170 for up to two hours on-site, £60 per additional hour, and £20 for materials if a smoke test is required. While no detailed written reports are provided to reduce costs, information on significant problems found is provided.

We are unable to offer legal advice in these matters and any information on these pages does not constitute legal advice. For up-to-date information and guidance please visit GOV.UK. 

Was this page helpful?

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.