Facebook Pixel
Commissioners appointed |

The Government has announced that Commissioners are to be appointed for Nottingham City Council.  For further information, the council’s response and FAQs can be read here.

The council's advice for limiting smoke pollution and safety for bonfires. Have a problem? Report it on the link below.

Report a Problem with bonfires and smoke

Completing this service should take around 5 minutes.

To complete this service you will need.

  • Details of the issue 
  • Your contact details

You can also use this form to report

  • Grit and dust
  • Odour and Fumes
  • Light Pollution
  • Air Pollution
  • Any other type of pollution
Report a Problem with bonfires and smoke

Legal action may be taken in the Magistrates Court against those causing smoke nuisance and deposit nuisance from bonfires with a maximum fine of £5000.

Domestic and Allotment

Avoid having bonfires by disposing of garden waste by composting or using the Council’s garden waste bin collection service.

Nottingham City Council provides a bulky waste collection scheme for the disposal of furniture and other household items to domestic properties.

If you have a builder or tradesman working at your property, any bonfire caused by the trader disposing of the waste is not permissible and will be referred to the Environment Agency for investigation.

Commercial and Industrial

The emission of dark smoke is a strict offence and can lead to prosecution in the Magistrates Court to a maximum of £5,000 per offence.

The maximum penalty for causing statutory nuisance from trade premises is £20,000.

Waste produced during the course of normal business activity should be disposed of appropriately. Disposal by burning is not permissible and will be referred to the Environment Agency for investigation under the Waste Management Licensing Regulations 1994 relating to the disposal of trade waste.

Smoke Control Areas

The burning of ordinary coal, wood or garden waste are an offence under the Clean Air Act and could lead to prosecution resulting in a fine of up to £1000.

Burning solid fuel applies to the use of any stove or appliance that is vented by a chimney and therefore includes garden, greenhouse and allotment stoves and heaters. Remember that wood is not an authorised fuel.

Find out more about smoke control areas and wood burning stoves.

Authorised Fuels and Exempt Appliances

Only authorised smokeless fuel, which can be ignited by bottled gas, firelighters or electric igniters, may be burned in Smoke Control Areas.
In addition to using smokeless fuel, you should ensure that the appliance being used is an approved appliance and is suitable for burning the authorised fuel.
There are exempted appliances available, some of which can be used within a Smoke Control Area for burning normally unauthorised fuel, such as coal or wood.

A full list of authorised fuel and appliances can be found on the Gov.UK website.