Facebook Pixel

How to get married in a Church or religious building

If you wish to be married in the Church of England speak to the vicar of the church in which you wish to marry. There is usually no need to involve your local register office.

If you wish to have a religious ceremony other than in the Church of England, you should usually:

  • Arrange to see the person in charge of marriages at the building
  • One party must live in the same district as the church or religious building (or worship there)
  • Give formal notice to the superintendent registrar at your local register office unless one of you is subject to immigration control.


Fees payable to the Nottingham Register Office;

  • Notice fees: £35.00 per person
  • If a Nottingham City Registrar is required to attend the marriage: £86.00 plus certificate fee of £11.00

From 4th May 2021 a change in Legislation will mean that all Civil and Religious weddings will be registered by a legal document called a Marriage Schedule. This will be provided by the Register Office after the Notice Period. The Schedule will have spaces for couples to record both mother and father's details. There will be no green handwritten Registers any more and certificates cannot be issued on the day of the wedding. For Civil Marriages couples will then be able to purchase their Marriage Certificates by using the online ordering system on this website (please allow 7 days).

After a Religious Marriage, the Church Minister must return the signed Marriage Schedule to their local Register Office as soon as possible after the wedding (within 21 days). Once the Register Office has received this and checked it (please allow 7 days for this) then couples will then be able to purchase their Marriage Certificates by using the online ordering system on this website.

Similar legislation will apply to Church of England or Wales Churches.  Banns will still be read instead of Notices of Marriage, and those Churches will provide the new Marriage Document to sign and return to the Register Office after the wedding.

Related Pages

Contact Us

The Register Office
The Council House
Old Market Square

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm 


Tel: 01158415554

Contact Us Online Is there anything wrong with this page?