Skip to main content

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments are for people who need extra help with their rent when their Housing Benefit does not meet the full value of their rent.

Nottingham City Council administers Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) on behalf of the Department for Works and Pensions.

  • People who have an entitlement to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and who have a shortfall can claim for help.

The award of a DHP as such does not guarantee that a further award will be made at a later date even if the claimant's circumstances have not changed.

This is a discretionary scheme and all applications for a DHP will be considered on an individual basis taking account of household type and circumstances.

What DHP Covers

  • Reductions in housing benefit or universal credit where the benefit cap has been applied
  • Reductions in housing benefit or universal credit for under occupation (amount of rooms used)
  • Reductions in housing benefit or universal credit
  • Rent shortfall to prevent a household from becoming homeless
  • Rent in advance
  • Rent deposits
  • Non-dependent deductions
  • The effect of income tapers (reduction of support as you earn more)
  • Any other lump sum costs associated with a housing need (e.g. removal costs, fleeing domestic violence)

What DHP Doesn't Cover

  • Council Tax payments
  • Benefit suspensions
  • Recovering overpayments
  • Job Seekers Allowance or Universal Credit sanctions
  • Ineligible service charges
  • Increases in rent due to outstanding rent arrears
  • Other sanctions and reductions in benefits

Make a Claim for a DHP

To make a claim for help with Rent in Advance, Rent deposit or removal cost, please print off and complete the forms below.

Return your completed form along with supporting evidence to Housing Benefits

You can also apply online by clicking below:

Discretionary Housing Payment Online

Contact us

Housing Benefits
Nottingham City Council
Admail 4270

Tel: 0115 718 4444

Contact Us Online

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.