Council Tax Reduction is paid by local councils to help pay towards your council tax.

The amount of reduction you receive will depend on your circumstances, including your income, savings, members of your household and Council Tax band.


If you are:

  • On a low income, including low earnings
  • Responsible for council tax
  • Your savings are less than £16,000 (different capital rules apply to people over 60)
  • Receiving Universal Credit 

You may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction.

Your claim will depend on:

  • your household income, this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

Qualify for benefits

Use our benefits calculator to assess if you qualify for council tax support. This is only an estimate, if you would like further information please contact our benefits team


Benefit Calculator 

How we pay

Any Council Tax Reduction will be paid directly to your council tax account.

Reference Document

Contact Us

Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit
Nottingham City Council
Admail 4270

Tel: 0115 718 4444

Is there anything wrong with this page?