Home Information for Residents Benefits Council Tax Support Scheme Appeal a Council Tax Support Scheme Decision

If you disagree with your Council Tax Support Scheme Decision, you may initiate a challenge under section 16 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.

Not Happy with our Decision

A Council Tax payer may request the Council reconsider its decision at any point after receiving confirmation of the Council Tax Support Scheme decision.

You must advise the Council in writing.

You must state the grounds on which you have a grievance against the Council's calculation. Council Tax Payers can only appeal if the Council has:

  • The wrong amount has been charged
  • You shouldn't be charged for council tax
  • The bills have been sent to the wrong person at your home

Your request for appeal must include:

  • Your full name and address
  • Your address
  • The date on which you are appealing and the name of the Council
  • The date on which you were notified of the decision by the Council
  • What you wish to appeal against
  • Reasons why you consider that the decision or calculation was incorrect
  • Where you have also made a housing benefit appeal to the Tribunal Service

We will then look at your claim and advise you of the outcome of the reconsideration.

We will outline the reasons why we believe the grievance is not valid or confirm the steps taken to address the grievance.

If the decision is not changed in your favour, you have the right to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal for England within 2 months of the second consideration. 

The Council must respond to you within two months of receiving a challenge to the Council Tax Support Scheme calculation.  

Appeal to the Valuation Tribunal

Before you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal for England (VTE) you must have written to the Council explaining the grounds on which you are challenging the decision.

If you are not happy with the decision then you can appeal to the VTE within two months of receiving a written response from the Council.

If the Council fails to respond to your grievance within two months then you can appeal directly to the VTE within four months of sending your grievance to the Council's decision.

Appeal to the Valuation Tribunal 

Contact Us

Nottingham City Council
Admail 4270

Is there anything wrong with this page?