Additional Licensing for HMO's

HMO Licensing 

Additional Licensing requires houses in multiple occupations (HMO's) shared by 3 or more unrelated people who share facilities such as kitchens and bathrooms, to have a licence in a designated area. Purpose built flats will be covered in this scheme.

The new Additional Licensing scheme area designation (map), applies from the 1 January 2019.  You need to check if you now require a licence for the new scheme as the area designation has changed please see the designation map. 

Apply for a licence

A Variation on a Licence

If you need to change your licensing details, you can apply for a variation on licence here.

Variation on your licence 

A Renewal of a license

You can apply for a renewal of a license on the same form.

Renewal of your licence 


Households: a household can be one person or several people. A group of people that are related, or living as a couple or family are 1 household*.

*includes couples, same sex couples and children including fostered and adopted and any other relatives.

NOTE: Where tenants claim to be related we expect landlords and/or managers to have taken out appropriate checks to be confident that they are related and the property is not being occupied as a HMO.


  • Three friends = 3 households
  • A couple and a 1 friend = 2 households
  • A couple living with their parent are 1 household
  • A couple, sharing with 3 strangers who are all friends but not related would be 4 households
  • 2 friends would be 2 household because they are not related
  • 2 families would be 2 households


Some flats are also covered under the Additional Licensing Scheme and may require a licence per flat.

  • flats within purpose built accommodation

(where there are 3 or more occupants from 2 or more households- see the definition for households above)


You can download, view or save the fee table here.

These are the licensing fees as of 1st December 2013.

The Housing Act 2004 sets out that the licensing fee is set by the Local Authority and that this fee is required for an application to be considered as ‘duly made*’.

*duly made is the point in which we accept an application as being submitted with all of the information that is legally required

The City Council may decide to issue the Licence for any amount of time, up to a maximum of five years. 

What happens if I do not apply for a renewal before the date of expiry of my current Licence?

Nottingham City Council will apply the fee which is applicable at the time the application is received for renewals, irrespective of whether any lower fee was applicable at the time a previous Licence expired. 

How to Pay for a Licence

Only card payments will be taken via the online application system and will be required before the application is submitted to us.

Payment can be made over the telephone by debit or credit card for paper applications.  Please note that the City Council does not accept cash. 


Requirements for a Licence

The Council will consider whether:

  • the property is suitable for the number of persons requested
  • the proposed licence holder and manager are 'fit and proper persons'
  • the arrangements for managing the property are satisfactory

The Council will use the information you provide in the application and may also inspect the property to make its assessment.
It will then either refuse or grant a licence. Licenses will have certain conditions relating to the management of the property and may have other conditions, for example, the installation of further amenities.

Appeal Against Condition(s)

Before issuing the full licence (or refusal) we issue a draft licence (or refusal).  This gives you the opportunity to study the document and then make representations to us.  Once the full licence (or refusal) has been issued, you have 28 days to appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal (RPT).  Please visit the RPT pages for details of how to appeal. 

What if I don't license my property?

Landlords and agents who fail to apply for a licence face the risk of further enforcement action which could include a financial penalty of up to £30,000 or a prosecution with an unlimited fine. In addition to this, a record of non-compliance with Housing Law may affect your ability to hold a licence.

In cases where a successful prosecution or multiple financial penalties are issued may result in a Banning Order against the guilty person, this would mean they are unable to hold a licence and may result in their properties being taken over by the Council.

Further Information about HMO Licensing

Please click here to visit the DASH - Decent and Safe Homes website for further information or the Legislation website Statutory Instrument 2006 No. 371. You can also contact the HMO Team within Environmental Health.

If you are the owner, manager or person in control of an HMO and are in any doubt whether it needs a Licence, please contact the HMO Team within Environmental Health on 0115 915 2000 (Options 5) or by e-mail at  for clarification.

Planning Permission

There are restrictions which apply to changing the use of dwellings.  Please visit the Planning pages of the web site for further information, particularly in relation to the Article 4 Direction which applies directly to the conversion of single family dwellings into HMOs.