The Local Plan and Planning Policy
The Local Plan sets out the strategic and spatial land-use planning framework for Nottingham City.
- Adopted Local Plan
- Further Local Planning Documents
- Adopted Supplementary Planning Documents and Guidance
- Current Consultation
- Application to Designate a Neighbourhood Area and Neighbourhood Forum in Sneinton
All Nottingham City Planning Documents are made available through Nottingham Insight. To view these links in a new browser window please hold CTRL on your keyboard and click the link.
In Nottingham the Local Plan comprises the Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy (part 1 Local Plan) (adopted on 8 September 2014, see below for details.) and the 'saved' Local Plan policies, which were adopted in November 2005. Many other policies in the 'saved' Local Plan have been deleted as set out in Appendix E of the Core Strategy.
Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy Part 1 Local Plan
The Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy [5Mb] sets out strategic planning policies and development principles for Nottingham City to guide development until 2028. The ACS has been jointly prepared with Broxtowe and Gedling Borough Councils with close alignment to the other Council's Core Strategies which make up Greater Nottingham namely Erewash and Rushcliffe Borough Councils. The Inspector who examined the document issued her report in July 2014 . She found the Councils' plans to be sound subject to the modifications discussed and put forward following the examination hearings and consulted on during March and April 2014 (with one exception in respect of Bestwood Village in Gedling Borough). The version available to download corrects errors to the justification text of Appendix E in respect of saved policies S2, S3, S4 and S5 of the Nottingham Local Plan 2005.
The Council considered the recommendations of the Inspector and formally adopted the plan on 8 September 2014.The Adoption Statement gives further details on the above and explains how any person aggrieved by the adoption of the Core Strategy may make an application to the High Court under Section 113 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004.
The Council considered the recommendations of the Inspector and formally adopted the Adoption Statement the plan on 8 September 2014.
Click on the links below to view the associated documents
- City Council Report [73kb]
- City Council Report Equality Impact Assessment Appendix [174kb]
- Nottingham Aligned Core Strategy [5Mb]
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Aligned Core Strategy [1Mb]
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Aligned Core Strategy Publication Version Addendum May 2013 [877kb]
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Aligned Core Strategy Equality Impact Assessment HRA combined document [1Mb]
- Sustainability Appraisal Adoption Statement [310kb]
Details for the examination and key documents can be found on the Growth Point website.
The saved Local Plan
The 'saved' Local Plan policies contain detailed planning policies against which all planning applications are judged. It is accompanied by an adopted Proposals Map which sets out areas of protection and areas of land designated for particular land uses.
The Emerging Local Plan
Work is currently underway to prepare a new Local Plan for Nottingham City. In the future the Local Plan will comprise two documents:
- Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy (Local Plan Part 1) adopted in 2014
- Nottingham City Land and Planning Policies Document (Local Plan Part2)
Nottingham City Land and Planning Policies Document - Local Plan Part 2
The Local Plan Part 2, when adopted, will
- set out planning policies for Nottingham City
- guide how decisions on planning applications will be made
- allocate land for development
A Draft Publication Version of the Plan will be considered by Nottingham City Council's Executive Board on 17 November 2015. Subject to approval, representations on the plan will be invited early in 2016. The Publication Version Local Plan Part 2 and all supporting documents can be viewed below:
- Land and Planning Policies Document - Local Plan Part 2
- Sustainability Appraisal November 2015
- Equalities Impact Assessment November 2015
- Preferred Option Report of Consultation November 2015
- Employment Background Paper November 2015
- Retail Background Paper November 2015
- Green Belt Background Paper November 2015
- Climate Change Background Paper November 2015
- Site Assessment Background Paper November 2015
- Minerals Background Paper November 2015
- Sustainable, Inclusive and Mixed Communities Background Paper November 2015
- Transport Background Paper November 2015
- Infrastructure Delivery Plan 2015
There are no current consultations taking place. It is anticipated that the Land and Planning Policies Document (part 2 Local Plan) will be consulted upon next in early 2016.
Please contact the Policy and Research Team if you would like to know more or require any of the information in a different format.
Policy and Research Team
Telephone: 0115 876 3970
The Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) sets out Nottingham City Council's policy for involving communities when preparing planning documents and considering planning applications.
The Local Development Scheme (LDS) sets out timetables for when each of the planning documents will be prepared by the City Council. The City Council keeps the timetables set out in the LDS under review and reports progress in the Authority Monitoring Report.
The Authority Monitoring Report (AMR) [2Mb] 2014 - Assesses the City Council's progress against the timetables set out in the LDS, and is published annually. The AMR also assesses the effectiveness of policies and objectives set out in the planning documents.
The Nottinghamshire and Nottingham Waste Core Strategy (WCS) is jointly prepared by Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire County Councils. It sets out the scale, location and type of facilities required to manage different types of waste in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire. The WCS was adopted on 10 December 2013. You can view the Waste Core Strategy; the formal Adoption Statement and the Sustainability Appraisal Adoption Statement here.
The Nottinghamshire and Nottingham Waste Site Allocations and Development Management Policies Document will set out locations and policies for waste facilities and will also set out detailed policies against which to determine waste planning applications. Work on this document has not yet begun.
Nottingham City Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment
The current Housing Land Availability Report and the associated plans can be viewed by clicking the link below.
These are supporting documents which add further detail to the planning policies set out in the adopted Local Plan. Access the folder of documents via this link. The following types of document are available:
- Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG)
- Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD)
- Interim Planning Guidance
- Development Briefs for specific sites
- Conservation Areas- Character Appraisals and Management Plans
Useful External Links
- NPPF - National Planning Policy Framework: was published on 27 March 2012 and sets out the Government's planning policies for England and how these are expected to be applied
- PPG - Planning Practice Guidance: this website resource brings together many areas of English planning guidance into a new format, linked to the National Planning Policy Framework and relevant legislation
- Plain English guide to the Planning System: explains how the planning system in England works by providing a plain English guide. It is only an overview and so does not set out new planning policy or guidance
- Planning Portal: is the UK Government's online planning and building regulations system in England and Wales and is intended to be the first point of call for anyone wanting to find out about planning
- Planning Inspectorate: deals with planning appeals, national infrastructure planning applications, examinations of local plans and other planning-related and specialist casework in England and Wales"
Is there anything wrong with this page?
Make a comment on this service