The Local Plan and Planning Policy
The Local Plan sets out the strategic and spatial land-use planning framework for Nottingham City.
Consultation on the Land and Planning Policies Document, Part 2 Local Plan has begun. Full details about the the consultation can be found here
- Adopted Local Plan
- Further Local Planning Documents
- Adopted Supplementary Planning Documents and Guidance
- Current Consultation
- Application to Designate a Neighbourhood Area and Neighbourhood Forum in Sneinton
In Nottingham the Local Plan comprises the Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy (part 1 Local Plan) (adopted on 8 September 2014, see below for details) and the 'saved' Local Plan policies, which were adopted in November 2005. Many policies in the 'saved' Local Plan have been deleted as replaced by policies in the Core Strategy (see below).
Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy Part 1 Local Plan
Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy sets out strategic planning policies and development principles for Nottingham City to guide development until 2028. The ACS was jointly prepared with Broxtowe and Gedling Borough Councils with close alignment to the other Council's Core Strategies which make up Greater Nottingham namely Erewash and Rushcliffe Borough Councils. The Inspector who examined the document issued her report in July 2014 . She found the Councils' plans to be sound subject to the modifications discussed and put forward following the examination hearings and consulted on during March and April 2014 (with one exception in respect of Bestwood Village in Gedling Borough). The version available to download corrects errors to the justification text of Appendix E in respect of saved policies S2, S3, S4 and S5 of the Nottingham Local Plan 2005.
The Council considered the recommendations of the Inspector and formally adopted the plan on 8 September 2014
Click on the links below to view the associated documents
- Nottingham Aligned Core Strategy [6Mb]
- City Council Report Equality Impact Assessment Appendix [174kb]
- City Council Report [73kb]
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Aligned Core Strategy [1Mb]
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Aligned Core Strategy Publication Version Addendum May 2013 [877kb]
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Aligned Core Strategy Equality Impact Assessment HRA combined document [1Mb]
- Sustainability Appraisal Adoption Statement [310kb]
- Adoption Statement
Archived details of the examination and key documents can be found on the Growth Point website.
The saved Local Plan
The 'saved' Local Plan (2005) policies contain detailed planning policies against which all planning applications are judged. It is accompanied by an adopted Proposals Map which sets out areas of protection and areas of land designated for particular land uses.
The Emerging Local Plan
Work is currently underway to prepare a new Local Plan for Nottingham City. In the future the Local Plan will comprise two documents:
- Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy (Local Plan Part 1) adopted in 2014
- Nottingham City Land and Planning Policies Document (Local Plan Part 2)
Nottingham City Land and Planning Policies Document
Local Plan Part 2
The Local Plan Part 2, when adopted, will
- set out planning policies for Nottingham City
- guide how decisions on planning applications will be made
- allocate land for development
A Draft Publication Version of the Plan was considered by Nottingham City Council's Executive Board on 17 November 2015 and approved for consultation. Details of the consultation available can be viewed here.
Consultation is currently underway on the following;
- The Land and Planning Policies Document, Part 2 Local Plan is subject to consultation between 29 January 2016 until 5pm 11 March 2016. Full details about the the consultation can be found here
- A draft Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) for the Island Site area (bounded by London Road, Manvers Street, Pennyfoot Street and the rail line). Details of the consultation which will run between Friday 8 January 2016 to Friday 19 February 2016 at 5pm can be found here.
Please contact the Policy and Research Team if you would like to know more or require any of the information in a different format.
Policy and Research Team
Telephone: 0115 876 4594
The Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) sets out Nottingham City Council's policy for involving communities when preparing planning documents and considering planning applications.
The Local Development Scheme (LDS) sets out timetables for when each of the planning documents will be prepared by the City Council. The City Council keeps the timetables set out in the LDS under review and reports progress in the Authority Monitoring Report.
The Authority Monitoring Report (AMR) 2015 - Assesses the City Council's progress against the timetables set out in the LDS, and is published annually. The AMR also assesses the effectiveness of policies and objectives set out in the planning documents.
The Nottinghamshire and Nottingham Waste Core Strategy (WCS) is jointly prepared by Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire County Councils. It sets out the scale, location and type of facilities required to manage different types of waste in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire. The WCS was adopted on 10 December 2013. You can view the Waste Core Strategy; the formal Adoption Statement and the Sustainability Appraisal Adoption Statement here.
The Nottinghamshire and Nottingham Waste Site Allocations and Development Management Policies Document will set out locations and policies for waste facilities and will also set out detailed policies against which to determine waste planning applications. A draft version of this document is likely to be produced in 2016.
Nottingham City Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment
The current Housing Land Availability Report and the associated plans can be viewed by clicking the link below.
These are supporting documents which add further detail to the planning policies set out in the adopted Local Plan. Access the folder of documents here.
The following types of document are available:
- Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG)
- Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD)
- Interim Planning Guidance
- Development Briefs for specific sites
- Conservation Areas- Character Appraisals and Management Plans
Useful External Links
- NPPF - National Planning Policy Framework: was published on 27 March 2012 and sets out the Government's planning policies for England and how these are expected to be applied
- PPG - Planning Practice Guidance: this website resource brings together many areas of English planning guidance into a new format, linked to the National Planning Policy Framework and relevant legislation
- Plain English guide to the Planning System: explains how the planning system in England works by providing a plain English guide. It is only an overview and so does not set out new planning policy or guidance
- Planning Portal: is the UK Government's online planning and building regulations system in England and Wales and is intended to be the first point of call for anyone wanting to find out about planning
- Planning Inspectorate: deals with planning appeals, national infrastructure planning applications, examinations of local plans and other planning-related and specialist casework in England and Wales"
Is there anything wrong with this page?
Make a comment on this service