Often confused with the University Park because of its close proximity to Nottingham University Campus. This 121 acre park is well endowed with magnificent trees, exotic plantings and water features. It also includes on site activities, boat hire, bowling, croquet, putting, new children's play area and a variety of events at the Lakeside Arts Centre.
- Where is the Park
- Site Facilities
- Park History
- Boating Lake
- Site Management
- Nottingham Model Boat Club
- Nottingham Croquet Club
- Disability Access
- Events - If you would like to run an event in this park, please visit our Outdoor Event Bookings page
- New Play Area
- Public Transport
- Ice Cream Concession
- Pavilion Café and Gallery Café at Lakeside Arts Centre
The core of the existing Highfields Park originates from the landscaping carried out by Joseph Lowe and his son Alfred in the late 18th and early 19th century.
In 1920 the Highfields Estate was purchased by the founder of Boots and Co Ltd, Sir Jesse Boot, who conveyed the site for the foundation of the East Midlands University, now known as the University of Nottingham. The comprehensive plan, largely funded by Sir Jesse Boot, for the University Campus included a new road system and parkland setting to the south adding to the landscaping already created by Joseph and Alfred Lowe.
Since 1921 Highfields Park has remained the home of The University of Nottingham with the original Highfields House being absorbed into the campus as a staff annexe. The new park was designed by the architect Percy Richard Morley Horder to form a setting for the Trent Building which he designed and built between 1922 - 1928. As a result, Highfields Park has a strong architectural emphasis in both its structural layout and the quality of the buildings.
A major element of the park design was the extension of the original 'fish pond' to form the existing Boating Lake, completed by Nottingham engineer WH Radford. The area around the original rock outcrop was left virtually untouched along with most of the pond, apart from the construction of some stone retaining walls around the water's edge. Tottle Brook was diverted to by-pass the Boating Lake and leave the Park via a culvert under the Boulevard.
Owned by Highfields Leisure Park Trust in Nottingham, Highfields Park is a charitable trust of which Nottingham City Council is a sole Trustee.
Nottingham Model Boat Club was formed in 1931 and was then known as the Nottingham Model Yacht Club. The Club sails at Highfields every Sunday morning from 09:15 until noon, and at Colwick on Sunday mornings. Often members can also be seen sailing during the week.
For further information please visit the website http://www.nottinghammodelboatclub.co.uk/ which gives details on membership, sailing locations and more.
The Nottingham Croquet Club first played in Highfields Park in 1929 on lawns between the boating lake and University Boulevard, screened from the road by the rhododendrons. Croquet is a game of skill played on grass with mallets, balls and hoops, on equal terms by women and men of all ages.
The club is the major centre for croquet in the East Midlands, with a membership ranging from this year's beginners to top international players. New members are welcome, with a learn-to-play course starting towards the end of May each year. Please see the http://www.nottinghamcroquet.org.uk for further information.
Is there anything wrong with this page?
Make a comment on this service