Untaxed Vehicles

Every vehicle registered in the United Kingdom must be taxed if it's used or kept on a public road. If a vehicle is kept off-road it must either be taxed or have a SORN (Statutory off Road Notification) in force. If not it could be removed without notice by either Nottingham City Council or the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Nottingham City Council can only remove an untaxed vehicle provided that the tax is 2 months and 1 day expired.

We will remove untaxed vehicles from the public highway including verges, however certain vehicles that are tax exempt and vehicles displaying a disabled tax disc will not be removed.

We will also remove a vehicle on the public highway where a SORN is in place, a SORN is only effective when a vehicle is parked on land not forming part of the public highway. We can also remove untaxed vehicles on any land where the public has access, for example:

  • Car parks or parking areas including stores, supermarkets, works, and council. Permission to store the vehicle there is irrelevant
  • Pub car parks (treated the same as a business car park) the keeper of the vehicle being a resident at the pub is irrelevant
  • Private or unadopted roads
  • Housing association or trust land or road, provided it does not belong to a dwelling
  • Waste ground, parks, common ground and open spaces

Nottingham City Council cannot enforce untaxed vehicles on any land that is associated with a dwelling or land belonging to business premises of a motor trader or vehicle tester.

If you suspect a vehicle to be untaxed please contact the vehicle pound on 0115 876 1861. 

You can check a vehicle's tax status by visiting https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax.

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...