Home Coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-isolation support payment

Self-isolation support payment

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.

Who is eligible?

People who live in Nottingham and have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate will be entitled to a £500 support payment if you meet all the following requirements:

  • You have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because they have tested positive for Coronavirus, or from 10th December 2020 contacted via the NHS COVID-19 App as having been in close contact with someone who has tested positive; You must register in the app for “financial support” and obtain your account ID before your self-isolation period is due to end.
  • You have responded to messages sent by NHS Test and Trace to give them your contact details and those you have been in contact with if you have tested positive. The message may have been sent by email, text, letter or phone call; 
  • You are employed or self-employed;
  • You are not furloughed during the period of your self-isolation;
  • You are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result; and
  • You are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit
  • Effective from 18th January 2021, you must apply within 28-days of the first day that your isolation period starts.

If you are not receiving or applied for one of the above benefits but are on a low income and self-isolation will cause you financial hardship, or you do not currently have Recourse to Public Funds, you may still be entitled under a special discretionary scheme.

To be considered for the discretionary scheme you need evidence that:

  1. Your household is on a low income. We will look at whether your level of household income for the period of self-isolation would normally be eligible for state benefits.
  2. Your usual Gross earnings are below £305.20 per week but more than £95.85 per week.
  3. You have savings/capital of less than £3000.

Please note that a Test and Trace support payment is taxable.

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for this scheme if you:

  • Are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period);
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate;
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation;
  • Are no longer required to self-isolate i.e. your period of self-isolation ended before the scheme was launched on 28th September 2020;
  • Apply more than 14-days after your self-isolation period ends. (Effective from 18th January 2021, apply more than 28-days after your self-isolation period starts)
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate.
  • You have been furloughed during the period of self-isolation. If you have several jobs, and you are not furloughed for all of them, you may still be eligible.

Before you start

You will need the following information to complete this form:

  • Your 8-digit NHS Test and Trace reference;
  • A copy of the NHS Test and Trace notification you received. This can be a photo of the letter, text message or email, but it must clearly show the date you received the notification and the Test and Trace ID;
  • A copy of your latest bank statement (issued in the last two months). This can be a photo but must clearly show proof of earnings;
  • Proof or employment such as your last 2-months payslips.
  • Proof of self-employment such the most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment tax returns;
  • To consent for us to access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm your eligibility.
  • To consent to us verifying your loss of income, this may be by contacting your employer.
  • Your National Insurance number.


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to obtain these payments, including failure to self-isolate which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.

The Government is supporting Local Councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

Data Sharing

Nottingham City Council will use your data for the processing of your Test and Trace Support Payment application.

In completing the application form, you are providing consent for us to access your coronavirus testing and contract tracing information via Public Health England and your benefits and earnings data via the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or your employer. This is to carry out the required checks.

We may check the information you provide, or the information about you which somebody else provides, with other details we hold.
If the law allows us, we may also receive information from other people or organisations or give information to them to check the accuracy of records, to prevent or detect crime, or to protect public funds in other ways.

All information is processed in accordance with the Council’s Self Isolation Privacy Notice

We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent.

How to apply

Apply online

What happens next?

The Government is supporting local councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

We will review your application and carry out the necessary checks with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for verification purposes, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), for tax purposes, and NHS Test and Trace to confirm your self-isolation status.

If we are able to verify your entitlement we will contact you by email to confirm when you will receive your payment.

Nottingham City Council Resident

Nottingham City Council can only take claims from residents who live within its area.
If you are unsure under which Council your address falls you can check here


If you require help with completion of the form or have any questions please contact 0115 9155555 or email us at SIP@nottinghamcity.gov.uk