To qualify for a disabled person's bus pass, you must either:
- Be sight impaired or severely sight impaired
- Be severely deaf (minimum hearing loss if it reaches 70 dB HL)
- Be without speech in any language
- Have a disability, or an injury, which has long term effect on the ability to walk
- Not have arms or have long term loss of the use of both arms
- Have a learning disability, which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
- Be prevented from being granted a motor vehicle licence under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1998, section 92 (other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol)
If you meet one or more of these, you can either apply online or visit the Travel Centre in person.
Mobility Smartcard Eligibility Full Criteria
You can now apply for your Mobility pass online.
Apply for a disabled person's bus pass online
If you are a Nottingham City resident and your concessionary card has been lost or stolen, you can replace it online here or visit us at the Travel Centre. A £10 fee will apply.
A braille sticker to help identify your concessionary bus pass is now available. We are in the process of posting a sticker to cardholders who have a visual impairment. If you need a braille sticker and haven't received one by 17 March 2023, please contact the Smart Ticketing Team on tel. 0115 876 2700.
When you can travel
The bus pass allows you free travel of all local bus services in England.
- Between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday
- At all times at weekends and Bank Holidays
- Outside of Nottingham, the pass is not valid on tube or tram services
Additional benefits that apply to Nottingham City residents when travelling within the City boundary:
- Free travel at all times on all local buses and trams
- Free travel on the entire Nottingham tram network (even outside the City boundary)
Certain bus services are also excluded, such as:
- Premium night buses
- Trentbarton's Red Arrow
- National Express services
Please check with the travel operator prior to travelling if you are unsure.
Other ways to apply
Apply in person at the Travel Centre.
You will need to take with you:
- Proof of your address (e.g. a bank statement, utility bill, Council Tax bill (dated within the last 3 months), television licence)
- Proof of your age (e.g. passport, letter of pension entitlement, medical card, birth certificate, driving licence)
- If you’re on the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance, you will need to bring a copy of this with you too
- You will also need to know your National Insurance number as this is required on the application form
Whilst you’re there, your photograph will be taken for your new card and once your application has been processed, your pass will be posted to your home address.
Download the application form in advance.
This form is a writable PDF and can therefore be completed on a computer without having to print out the form and write the information by hand.
Attending an assessment
If you believe that you are eligible to apply for a disabled person's bus pass, you may be asked to attend a medical assessment to ensure you meet the criteria for the bus pass.
An appointment will be offered within 2 weeks with the whole process taking no longer than 4 weeks.
You’ll need to take with you any medical evidence to support your application.
You do not need to attend a medical assessment and will be automatically eligible if
- You’re on the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- Receive 8 or more points under moving around or communicating verbally of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- You are in receipt of War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- You are registered with the local authority as blind, partially-sighted, or profoundly or severely deaf
What happens next
Following your appointment, if you’re assessed as being eligible, your pass will be posted to you within 10 working days.
If you do not meet the criteria, we will write to you and let you know.
If you didn’t supply the required information for the application, we'll write to you and you'll have more time to supply the information.