It is widely recognised that parents are a child's first, and best, teacher. Much research has shown that sharing stories and rhymes gives a child the best start to learning and reading becomes an enjoyable skill for life. Belonging to a library opens up a wealth of FREE books, information and skills for families to enjoy.
Libraries are great place for families to visit and no-one is too young or old to join.
Your Library provides:
- A 'Parents' collection in every library which includes information - from child development to entertaining your children
- Totstimes for children under 5 at all of our libraries. Parents and carers are welcome to come along to share stories and rhymes
- The Bookstart Bear Club, all about getting children to have a lifelong love of reading and encouraging the library habit. Your child can collect 10 certificates and, to make the first certificate extra special, your child will also receive a free book!
- Homework Help support is available at all our libraries that provide support with literacy and numeracy, school work and accessing information. We are currently redeveloping our homework support, sessions have begun in some libraries, with more being scheduled of the Autumn and in Spring 2014
- Holiday activities including the Summer Reading Challenge - encourage your children to keep the reading habit during the school holidays with fun events and incentives to keep them entertained
- Information on local facilities and things to do with your family
- Access to the library catalogue and the ability to reserve and renew books and make enquiries 24/7
- Free use of computers in libraries with internet access for you and your children. If you would like some help getting online please book a One2One session at your local library
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...