Find out about managing your money, preparing for work, benefits and more.

If you need help, whether with money, benefits, housing, restarting or starting a business, food banks, or finding work, information about our  services and recommended websites are listed below.

We also have our own online adult learning courses which are free if you're in receipt of certain benefits or on a low income. 

Our Work Clubs that used to meet in libraries are suspended, but you can still contact the people who run them for advice.

You need to contact the right work club for you that covers the area where you live. If you don't know which Councillor Ward you are in use the postcode look up here


Councillor Wards



Bulwell Forest,


07908 986731 or 07446 583355


Bestwood Directions

Leen Valley

Groundwork Greater Nottingham

07771 538025 or 07771 566893

Hyson Green,


0115 979 0015 or 07396 371939

St Anns

Renewal Trust

07867 562295

Clifton East,
Clifton West,

Bridges Community Trust

Jobs and apprenticeships in Nottingham

For the latest job vacancies in the City Council and elsewhere in the city. Visit the Nottingham Jobs website

You can search jobs, apprenticeships, find careers advice, getting ready for work, apply for jobs and find support in your job search.

Get alerts for Nottingham City Council new jobs and training opportunities straight to your inbox, sign up to the newsletter here.

Online learning:

Here are a few more sites offering free e-learning to help you brush up on your skills, from CV writing and IT to interview technique:

Learn My Way




National Careers Service

If you run or are thinking of starting your own business, visit our Business and IP Centre Nottingham page to see how we can help you.

Find out what benefits you may be entitled to using an independent benefits calculator.

Follow this step by step process to apply for Universal Credit.


Money Advice Service gives a comprehensive guide that looks at how you can best manage your money, if you're worried about debt, how you can cut the cost of household bills and what you might need to think about if you need to borrow money.

Citizen's Advice offers support if you are worried about debt, struggling to pay your bills because of coronavirus or to check if you can get free school meals or supermarket vouchers.

Learn My Way offers free online courses for you to learn essential skills including how to manage your money online, using a budget planner and taking better control of your money.

National Debtline is a charity that recognises that this is an anxious time for those also worried about money. Use their guides on how to deal with debt, if you are facing a loss of income because of coronavirus or struggling to pay your bills.

Call and speak to an adviser: 0808 808 4000


Housing Aid provides help if you are at risk of homelessness or are homeless. They can provide advice and support in: 

  • Finding accommodation
  • Help keeping your existing accommodation
  • Advice on keeping a tenancy
  • Keeping you safe in your home

Email the service: or call on 0115 876 3330.


Use Homelink to apply for social housing, including council housing, or mutual exchanges (swapping your home with another social tenant)

Nottingham City Council's Welfare Rights Service offers free, confidential and impartial advice on issues including what benefits you can claim, if you have debts which may leave you without money for essentials or you have no money as your benefits have stopped.


Advice Nottingham, due to the Coronavirus pandemic, are currently offering telephone and email advice only on a range of issues including benefits, debt, employment and housing.

If you are in receipt of a referral find your local Food Bank and Community based Social Eating project here

The Nottinghamshire Mental Health Helpline offers access to support for people who need emotional support or information about their mental health.

Call 0300 555 0730, 9am - 11pm 7 days a week

 If you’re in a mental health crisis, the Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust Crisis Helpline can arrange for you to speak with a mental health professional and also advise you about other services which can help you.

Call 0808 196 3779, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For other sources of help with your mental health and suggestions for boosting your wellbeing, including managing stress and maintaining healthy relationships, visit our Online Library

Find more help

For businesses and self-employed visit our BIPC page

For further help on money and wellbeing visit AskLiON