Creating a vehicle access for your Property
Vehicle Access Enquiry
The Council is able to provide a quotation and construction service if you need to drop the kerb outside your property for the purposes of access to your land or driveway.
Following your request, an officer will contact you providing a customer reference number and details of how to pay the Quotation Fee of £25.00. This fee will be deducted from the crossing total on your official quotation.
Once the quotation fee has been paid, an officer will visit the property to take appropriate measurements.
Within 14 days information will be posted in the form of a written quotation detailing the total cost and methods of payment. If there are any problems associated with the crossing you will be notified.
What work is involved?
- The kerbs will be replaced with lower units
- A splay kerb to each side of the crossing for new construction
- If a crossing exists it may be possible to extend where appropriate
- The crossing will be excavated and rebuilt to protect all utility services that are below the surface from any damage and to support small vehicles
How do I pay?
You can pay by cheque, credit or debit card.
The cost varies but will mainly depend on the area of the footpath used to access the driveway.
When does construction begin?
Once the payment has been processed, Highway Services will put the work into their programme.
From that point the works will commence anything up to three months.
How long does it take?
The actual build will be carried out over a 1 to 2 day period.
If you do have any concerns during the construction period you can contact the Highway Services team on phone 0115 915 2000.
Can I use a contractor or do it myself?
It is possible to use your own contractor providing they conform to the criteria below:
- The contractor has full Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) staff accreditation
- Public Liability Insurance, a minimum of £5,000,000 (million pounds)
- Approval through a Section 184 Licence. To have a copy of this licence sent out to you, please contact our Network Management Team on 0115 876 5238
- Planning consent where applicable
- Possession of vehicle crossing installation standard details from Nottingham City Council
- Full service and utility drawings for the location
- Conform to all chapter 8 guidelines for works to Highway Land
Can you build for driveways and hardstandings for private properties?
No. Contractors can be located in the local newspaper or on the internet.