COVID-19 Update

Travelling to Vaccination Centres

Effective from Monday 25 January and until further notice, all concessionary pass holders will be able to board a bus in Nottingham or the wider Nottinghamshire county area for free before 09:30am on weekdays. Concessions that possess either a Nottingham City Council or Nottinghamshire County Council issued pass will be able to use the tram for free before 09:30am on weekdays too. We have decided to do this for our residents in conjunction with Nottinghamshire County Council and local bus and tram operators to help you make any early morning COVID-19 vaccination appointments, but please try to avoid appointments times before 09:30am as the buses may be busier. The take-up will be monitored and the benefit may be withdrawn should buses or trams start to fill up too much over the coming weeks and months.

Victoria Travel Centre

Following decreased demand for in-person services during the current lockdown, we have taken the decision to close our Victoria Travel Centre from Monday 1 February until further notice. If you need any assistance, please contact us by email on or call us on 0115 876 1300. 

Apply online

You can now apply for your mobility concessionary card online. 

Apply for your card online

Apply by post

Postal applications for concessionary cards are now accepted. To apply by post, applicants need to send in the application form (which can be downloaded below) with the proofs required and a passport photo. 

The proofs you will need to include:

  • Proof of your address (e.g. a bank statement, utility bill, Council Tax bill (dated within the last 3 months), television licence)
  • Proof of your age (e.g. passport, letter of pension entitlement, medical card, birth certificate, driving licence)

The postal application can then be sent to the following address:

Smart Ticketing Team
Woodthorpe Grange
Woodthorpe Drive

To qualify for a Mobility pass, you must either:

  • Be sight impaired or severely sight impaired
  • Be severely deaf (minimum hearing loss if it reaches 70 dB HL)
  • Be without speech in any language 
  • Have a disability, or an injury, which has substantial long term effect on the ability to walk 
  • Not have arms or have long term loss of the use of both arms
  • Have a learning disability, which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • Be prevented from being granted a motor vehicle licence under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1998, section 92 (other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol)

If you meet a minimum of one of the criteria above, you can either apply online or visit the Victoria Travel Centre in person (located in Victoria Bus Station and the rear of Victoria Shopping Centre). Please note: The Victoria Travel Centre will be closed from Monday 1 February until further notice due to decreased demand during the current lockdown. If you need any assistance, please contact us by email on or call us on 0115 876 1300. 

You will need:

  • Proof of your address (e.g. a bank statement) dated within the last 3 months
  • Proof of your age (e.g. passport)
  • If you’re on the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance, you will need to bring a copy of this with you too
  • You will also need to know your National Insurance number as this is required on the application form

Whilst you’re there, your photograph will be taken for your new card and once your application has been processed, your card will be posted to your home address. This can take up to 10 working days. Please note: due to the COVID-19 outbreak, processing your concessionary card may currently take up to 20 working days. 

You can download the application form in advance.

This allows you to print it out and fill it in before visiting the travel centre. This form is a writable PDF and can therefore be completed on a computer without having to print out the form and write the information by hand.

The application process

If you’re on the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, or receive 8 or more points under moving around or communicating verbally of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), you do not need to attend a medical assessment as you will have an automatic entitlement to a mobility card.

If you believe that you are eligible to apply for a Mobility pass, you will be asked to make an appointment with an independent assessor based on Mansfield Road.

They will assess whether you meet the criteria for the card. They will offer you an appointment within 2 weeks from the date in which your phone (this process must not take longer than 4 weeks) and you’ll need to take with you any medical evidence to support your application.

Following your appointment, if you’re assessed as being eligible, your card will be produced and posted to you within 10 working days. If you do not meet the criteria, we will write to you and let you know.

If you didn’t supply proof of this at the application stage, you’ll have the opportunity to once we’ve processed your application when we write to you.

Please note: you will be automatically eligible for a mobility concessionary card and will not have to undergo the assessment if...

  • You are in receipt of the higher rate DLA mobility component
  • You receive PIP and you have been awarded 8 points against either "moving around" and/or "communicating verbally" activities
  • You are in receipt of War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • You are registered with the local authority as blind, partially-sighted, or profoundly or severely deaf

Face coverings on public transport

From Monday 15 June, wearing a face covering on public transport in England became mandatory. However, some people may be exempt. 

The requirement to wear a face covering does not apply:

  • if you have a physical or mental illness or impairment, or a disability that means you cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering
  • if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering would cause you severe distress
  • if you are travelling with, or providing assistance to, someone who relies on lip reading to communicate
  • if you are travelling to avoid injury or escape the risk of harm, and you do not have a face covering with you
  • if you need to remove it during your journey to avoid harm or injury or the risk of harm or injury to yourself or others
  • if you need to eat, drink, or take medication you can remove your face covering
  • if you are asked to remove your face covering by a police officer or other official, for example to check your railcard
  • to children under the age of 11
  • to a constable, police community support officer, emergency responder (e.g. paramedic) or fire officer acting in the course of their duty

If you are exempt from wearing a face covering, please tell the driver as you board. You do not have to explain why you are exempt.

For those who do not have to wear a face covering, we have produced Journey Assistance cards that can be shown to drivers when boarding public transport. These can be found and downloaded below.

For more information regarding public transport and Covid-19, please visit: