With an unprecedented series of developments including the £2bn regeneration of the Southside of the city well underway, the next few years will provide a huge opportunity for the city to enhance its national and international reputation.
As our current Chief Executive is leaving to take up a new role, we are looking for someone to lead on delivering our ambitious new Council Plan which aims to provide 1,000 more Council or social homes to rent; create 15,000 new jobs, build a new Central Library including the UK’s best children’s library; cut crime and anti-social behaviour by a quarter and ensure Nottingham is the cleanest big city in England.
Nottingham has set an ambitious target to become the first carbon neutral city in the UK by 2028. At the heart of this shared vision is an approach that not only positively addresses wider environmental challenges, but improves quality of life and builds a new form of clean growth for our economy through a green industrial revolution.
We are an innovative, vibrant and fast growing Core City, with a new era of regeneration on its way as we embark on a new decade. Nottingham is home to two world class universities working in partnership with Nottingham City Council. We have one of the best public transport networks in the country with an extended tram system and good rail links. We have a flourishing arts, events and music scene, a great and developing shopping offer, top quality sports facilities and clubs together with great restaurants and buzzing night-time scene.
Nottingham is not without its challenges. We are the 8th most deprived area in England, and like many other urban authorities we have seen our funding dramatically reduced whilst demand continues to rise. Nevertheless, our vision is to build a city that is ambitious for our residents and find new and innovative ways of delivering that vision.
What can we offer you?
There has never been a better time to join Nottingham City Council. We have a strong political leadership team, coupled with visionary senior leaders and a committed workforce, striving to deliver the best services for the people of Nottingham.
We are committed to recruiting a talented workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We are a fair and inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and with different abilities. We recruit for diversity and value difference; our aim is to increase inclusivity in Nottingham.
As well as the satisfaction of helping to improve thousands of lives across Nottingham, we can offer you our award-winning package of Employee Benefits (including salary sacrifice schemes), access to the excellent Local Government Pension Scheme, as well as flexible and remote working.
We have our people at the centre of our organisation’s values, and we value talent at all levels.
What we expect from you...
- To drive the vision for Nottingham City Council and for the city, placing ‘Citizens at the Heart’ of all we do. To provide strategic direction, the right organisational infrastructure and conditions to deliver.
To provide visible strategic and organisational leadership, actively and effectively promoting the Council’s vision, values, aims, objectives and priorities to partners, national and local stakeholders, employees and Nottingham’s citizens, including playing a leading role in the integration of health and Council Services.
- To oversee the strategic objectives across Nottingham City Council’s group of companies and to support the development of the group in line with the Council’s regulations and ambition.
- To work collaboratively with Councillors, the Corporate Leadership Team, colleagues and partners to provide the conditions for high performing council services and to improve the quality of life for the citizens of Nottingham.
- To show commitment to working in partnership, with the ability to lead through influence. You will have a flair for strategic thought and business development, and a track record of successful city leadership with experience at CEO or senior director level.
- You will be recognised by your peers for your collaborative leadership style and natural ability to build trust. These important qualities will be combined with innovative strategic vision and courage to act decisively so that you can deliver effectively for the common good.
For an informal and confidential discussion regarding the role please contact our retained consultant Julie Towers on 07764 791736 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for the role, visit http://penna-exec.beta-pennadigital.co.uk/ where you will be required to submit an up-to-date CV, along with a Supporting Statement that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements.
You should also provide the names, positions, organisations and contact details for two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. If you do not wish us to approach your referees without your prior permission, please state this clearly.
Closing Date: Noon, 27 March 2020
Technical Assessment for this role to take place in the week commencing 20 April 2020
For an informal and confidential discussion regarding the role please contact our retained consultant Julie Towers on 07764 791736