Ending the tenancy 

If you would like your tenants to leave, you should give them enough notice and information. The type of information you need to supply depends on your tenancy agreement. 

Assured shorthold tenancies (ASTs)

You can take back your property without a given reason, as long as all the following apply:

  • You have a deposit protection scheme for your tenant
  • You have given your tenant two months written notice ("notice to quit")
  • The date to leave must be 6 months after the original tenancy began
  • They have a periodic or fixed-term tenancy (without asking them to leave before the fixed date)

Fixed term

During fixed term tenancy you can ask them to leave if:

  • Your tenants are behind in payments
  • They are using the property for illegal purposes 

The notice varies from two weeks to two months, depending on the reason. 


Excluded tenancies or licences

If you live with a lodger and share rooms, you will likely have an excluded tenancy or licence.
You only need to give "reasonable notice" to quit, usually the rent payment period. So if you pay weekly, one-week notice.
This does not have to be in writing. 

Non-excluded tenancy or licence

You can end the tenancy at any time by serving a written "notice to quit". The notice period depends on the tenancy, but usually for four weeks. 

If your tenant does not leave

You cannot remove them by force. If the notice period expires and they have not left the property, you can start the process of eviction through the courts. 


We are unable to offer legal advice in these matters and any information on these pages does not constitute legal advice. For up to date information and guidance please visit GOV.UK.