Increasing Rent in Private Rented Accommodation

For tenancies that began before January 15th 1989 landlords can only raise the rent every 2 years and must apply to the Valuation Office Agency.

For tenancies from that date, rents should usually only go up once a year. This should be in line with the general rent levels for the property type in the area.

Rents should only increase by a reasonable amount which should be the current market level. If it’s much more it can be appealed.

Although rent increases should generally only happen once a year, a landlord can give a new tenancy agreement after 6 months, and that tenancy can have a new rent level.

Required information for increasing rent:

  • Landlord or Agent details
  • Tenant details
  • The address of the tenancy
  • The amount of increased rent
  • The start date for the new rent

Tenants do need to think about possible outcomes though when it comes to renting increases as a landlord can give 2 months’ Notice on a shorthold tenancy.

Rent disputes

Here's some guidance on when rent is due to be paid.  

Often disputes can be avoided by issuing a rent book.

Sometime there are disputes about rent increases and you can apply to a tribunal on rent increases and disputes.

If you want to apply for a tribunal for a rent increase, you must have:

  • An assured or assured shorthold tenancy
  • Your rent has been increased as part of "section 13 procedure". The letter from your landlord will clarify this

You must apply before the new rent is due.

New rental terms

 You can ask the tribunal to decide your new rental terms.  

If you think your rent is high before moving in

Contact Citizens Advice, as you may be able to apply for a tribunal. You must do this within 6 weeks of moving in.


We are unable to offer legal advice in these matters and any information on these pages does not constitute legal advice. For up to date information and guidance please visit GOV.UK.