All landlords renting a property must do a ‘Right to Rent’ check and it has to include anyone in the household who is 18 or over.

If a landlord uses a letting agent you can usually ask them to do this.

This check only applies to landlords and their tenants, so if the tenant decides to rent part of their home to someone else then it is their responsibility to do the check.

GOV.UK information on how to complete a right to rent check

GOV.UK guidance on the requirements of the right to rent

Landlords can be fined and even sent to prison if they don’t do these checks.


Immigration Property Inspection

If someone has made an application to the UK Border Agency for entry clearance into the United Kingdom, as part of that application they need to ensure that their landlord has had an assessment of the accommodation they’re due to move into.

This is to find out whether that accommodation will be suitable for the number of occupants who will be resident

This assessment will ensure that the property doesn’t become overcrowded if more people were to move in, so that it’s a safe and healthy environment for those living there.

This will costs £110 for the inspection and associated paperwork.

Book an Inspection Report for Immigration

Landlord advice

If you are unsure about Right to Rent checks, there is free advice available over the phone on the Landlord’s helpline.

0300 069 9799 
Monday to Thursday, from 9 am to 4:45 pm
Friday 9 am to 4:30 pm


A tenant can use any of the means set out in Lists A or B for a right to rent check.

List A contains the range of documents which show you’re a British citizen, EEA or Swiss national, or a person who has an indefinite right to be in the UK. Landlords who correctly check the documents from this list will not need to do follow-up checks.

List B contains the range of documents which may be accepted from a person who has a time-limited right to be in the UK. Landlords who check a document in this list will establish a time-limited statutory excuse and should carry out follow-up checks.

You can find a list A and B along with more information from GOV.UK here.

We are unable to offer legal advice in these matters and any information on these pages does not constitute legal advice. For up to date information and guidance please visit GOV.UK.