Priority Services Register
A Priority Services Register is a free scheme offered by your gas, electricity and water suppliers. Once you register you can receive additional support and special services from each of your suppliers.
Registering ensures your supplier tailors their services to meet your needs, for example by providing you with extra help in using your meter.
Many of the services offered are free.
Join the free Priority Services Registers
You can be added to a Priority Service Register if you are:
- Pensionable age
- Chronically sick
- Blind or partially sighted
- Deaf or hearing impaired
If your supplier knows you have health issues or medical equipment in your home you will be prioritised in the event of a break to your supply.
How your supplier can help you
The services on offer to you vary depending on your supplier, but may include the following services:
- Providing you with notice if your supply is going to be interrupted
- Priority reconnection if your supply is interrupted
- Alternative facilities for cooking and heating if your supply is interrupted
- Bills sent to a relative, carer or friend to help you check them
- Your meter moved free of charge if it's hard for you to use or read the meter
- A free quarterly meter reading if you can't read your meter
- Annual gas safety check
- Free advice on being more energy-efficient
- Protection from cold callers with a password protection scheme to keep you safe
- Your bills and meter readings in braille, large print, audiotape, Textphone or Typetalk if you're visually impaired
- Extra help to use your meter or appliances
For some of the above, customers may need to be means-tested.
Register for priority service
If you wish to sign up for the service you need to contact each of your suppliers as they each hold their customer list.
If you decide to change your gas or electric supplier you will have to re-register with the new companies.
Signing a relative
It is possible to help relatives sign up to Priority Services Register, especially those who may find it difficult to register for a new service.
But the customer will need to be present during the phone call.
To register you will need to call each of your utility providers using the numbers below:
Gas and Electric
- British Gas 0800 072 8625
- Eon 0800 0511 480
- EDF 0800 269 450
- SSE 0800 622 838
- Npower 080 172 6999
- Scottish Power 0800 027 0072
Severn Trent Water 08457 500 500
Information for Deaf Customers
Gas and Electric
If you're deaf or have difficulty hearing Textphone us on 18001 0800 072 8625
Minicom text telephone, you can call us free of charge on 0800 056 6560, or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Minicom 0800 096 2929
If you use a Textphone, you can call our Textline on 0345 026 7023
To contact us by minicom or Textphone, use 0800 413 016
The supplier does not publish information.
Sign up to the Age-Friendly Nottingham Newsletter
Sign up for the Age-Friendly Nottingham email newsletter. This monthly newsletter contains information about things to do and get involved with, and Nottingham news relevant to the older person.