Recycle it Right
Find out more about your bin collections and how to correctly recycle your waste. Please note that garden waste collections run from the beginning of April until the end of October.
When is my bin day?
You can now find out your bin collection dates for the year ahead, including Christmas and Bank Holidays by using our new online postcode finder tool. All you need to do is type in your postcode below and click 'Check my bin day' below.
All your collection details will be provided; you can also download your bin collection calendar for the next 12 months here.
Please remember to have your bin out for collection by 7 am and be aware that severe weather may affect our collections.
Garden waste collections will be on the same day as your recycling bin but at a different time.
- You shouldn't put your bin out any earlier than 4 pm the day before your collection day or leave them out later than 8 am the day after
- Please do not put your bin out more than eight hours before collection and bring it in no more than eight hours after it has been emptied
- Wheeled bins can be used as a tool for burglary or fire. Bringing your bin back in promptly will help to prevent this
- Please make sure your bin is presented safely and it does not cause an obstruction
- Please place the bin by the kerbside of your home, or at the agreed point
- If we miss your collection, let us know here, and we will come back within 24 hours
We all like to recycle as much as we can but do you know what rubbish should go where? By following the simple guidelines below you can help reduce contamination in your recycling bins and #recycleitright:
1) Do not put your recycling in plastic carrier bags, simply put it freely in your grey lidded recycling bin
2) These common household items CAN NOT be recycled:
- Pizza Boxes (if these are contaminated with grease)
- Large Cooking Oil Can (these can be taken to the Household Waste and Recycling Centre in Lenton)
- Tetra Paks or Juice Cartons
What goes in which bin?
As well as collecting household waste for residents within the city boundary, the Council also offers recycling collections for plastic, paper and card, garden waste, glass and food waste.
Unfortunately, not all of our recycling services are currently available to all households. If you would like to know which recycling service is available in your area then please call our Waste Management team on 0115 915 2000.
Most homes have a green bin for their household rubbish. Depending on the recycling service you have this bin will either be collected once a week or once every two weeks, on the same weekday.
Any household waste that cannot be put out as part of your recycling collections.
We have a grey lidded brown bin for the collection of plastic, paper, tins and cardboard. We will collect the recycling and composting one week and the remainder of your waste (in the green bin) the following week.
The brown bin with a brown lid is used to collect garden waste. Please contact Rubbish, Waste and Recycling Team if you would like a brown bin.
Brown bins can only be delivered to customers who already have a recycling collection. Garden waste collections take place every two weeks on the same day as your recycling collection. Collections start again in April.
Selected homes that can't use the grey lidded brown bins (flats, communal dwellings and hard to reach premises) would have been selected for the Orange Recycling Bag Scheme.
If your property had previously been selected for the scheme, it will soon be replaced with dedicated recycling facilities and the bags will no longer be required, by doing so, we hope to improve the quality of the recycling collected and reducing used plastic within the city.
If your property doesn't yet have a dedicated recycling facility, please contact your property management company or request a recycling bin here.
For more information on where you can recycle go to http://www.recycle-more.co.uk and fill in your postcode in the bank locator. This will provide you with a list and map of all your local recycling sites and what can be taken there.