The Flood and Water Management Act 2010 introduced changes to the organisations that have a duty to consent works near watercourses. If you are proposing to work within or next to a watercourse you may require land drainage consent from the Environment Agency (EA) or the City Council.

Consents for Works on Ordinary Watercourses

Please click on the link to download a map of ordinary watercourses within Nottingham City.

Watercourses in Nottingham City

You will not need to apply for a permit if your activity meets any of the exemptions found in the advice from the Department for Environmental Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

If you wish to discuss these exemptions further please call the Traffic and Flood Risk Management Team.

Follow the guidance on the link for how to register for an exemption.

Please see below a diagram which can help explain when and where consent for work on Ordinary watercourses may be required. Please note that these diagrams should only be used as guidance, if you need further information please get in contact.