The Fake campaign was launched to tackle illicit and counterfeit tobacco products and the problems it brings to the city
In July 2012 Community Protection's Trading Standards Service launched the FAKE campaign to tackle illicit and counterfeit tobacco and the problems that the illegal trade bring to Nottingham City. So far we have had a massive success targeting commercial and domestic premises involved in this illegal campaign and prosecuting those responsible.
We Still Need your Help and Information so we Can Stub out this Illegal Trade for Good
Call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
What we have achieved
Cautioned, warned, arrested, imprisoned, fined, and prosecuted those involved with the sale and distribution of counterfeit and illicit tobacco products.
Using the Proceeds of Crime Act, we can seize assets gained through criminal enterprise.
Since the start of the campaign Trading Standards have taken over £750,000 worth of illegal tobacco products off the streets of Nottingham.
Facts to Remember
- Illegal traders sell their products to children at pocket money prices
- People are less likely to quit smoking if they don't pay the full price
- The illegal trade affects legitimate traders and is a huge loss of revenue for the government
- Fake tobacco products bring anti social behaviour to your neighbourhood and has links to serious and organised crime
- You can help stub out this illegal trade by giving information about people who sell or deal in cheap and illegal cigarettes and tobacco products