If you believe that a business or trader is in breach of trading standards legislation then there are different ways to report this.

If you want to report a business for a criminal offence, please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service by telephone on 0808 223 1133

Or via their website

Citizens Advice Consumer Service will refer the matter to the relevant Trading Standards service. Trading Standards investigates criminal offences which take place in their area. And may take enforcement action in line with their Enforcement Policy.

This referral can be made anonymously.

Requirements for Businesses

All business and traders are required by law to ensure that they are not in breach of trading standards legislation. Trading Standards can carry out investigations to check if they comply, specifically in the following areas:

  • Consumer rights (including selling methods)
  • Fair trading
  • Safety
  • Weights and measures
  • Trademarks

If you are a business or trader, we have a number of advice leaflets which are designed to help your business comply with the law. Visit the Business advice section for further details.