You could be entitled to buy the Council home you are currently renting at a discounted price if you:
- Are a secure tenant now
- Live at the property as your main home
- Have a total of at least 3 years public sector tenancy in either Council or Housing Association property
If you can answer ‘yes’ to all of these then you are entitled to apply for the Right to Buy your Council home.
The amount of discount you get is mainly worked out on the type of property you are currently renting and how many years tenancy you have in total.
Latest Right to Buy information
We are currently experiencing delays at various stages of the Right to Buy process.
If you have:
- sent in an application form more than 4 weeks ago and not yet had a response informing you that your application has been admitted or denied or
- have received the blue RTB2 form saying you have been admitted the right to buy more than 8 weeks ago (if you are buying a house) 12 weeks ago (if you are buying a flat or maisonette) but not yet received the formal offer letter or
- have accepted the offer to purchase by returning the Notice of Intention form more than 4 weeks ago
Follow the link below for more information on what to do during a delay in the Right to Buy process.
Right To Buy Legislation Information
On 21 July 2014 the Housing (Right to Buy) (Limit on Discount) (England) Order 2014 (the Order) came into force and provided that the maximum right to buy discounts would increase in line with the percentage change in the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) published by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) from the September before the previous year to the September of the previous year.
This increase takes effect on 6 April each year.
In respect of the financial year 2018 to 2019, the relevant September 2017 CPI figure is 3 % and the new maximum discounts will be:
Outside London: £80,900
These discounts will apply to applications which are served on the landlord by the tenant on or after 6 April 2018.
The discounts do not apply retrospectively to applications made before 6 April 2018.
Find more information on the Right to Buy Scheme
- Visit the Government's Right to Buy website
- Ring 0300 123 0913 to speak to a Government Right to Buy agent
- Email the Nottingham City Councils Right to Buy team at email@example.com
- Call the Nottingham City Councils Right to Buy team between 8:30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, on 0115 876 4385
- Visit the Nottingham City Councils Right to Buy drop in sessions held at Loxley House every Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 10am and 11am, no appointment required (please note: visitors outside of these times will require an appointment)
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...