Additional Licensing

The Additional Licensing Scheme was introduced in Nottingham on 1st January 2014. This is a 5 year scheme which will most likely be renewed for an additional 5 years.

Very generally; Additional licensing applies to shared houses and flats which have 3 or more occupants, from 2 or more households.

It also applies to "converted block of flats" (a building (or part of a building) which has been converted into, and consists of, flats and self-contained flats).

More information on flats and converted blocks of flats can be found below.


Households: a household can be one person or several people. A group of people that are related, or living as a couple or family are 1 household*.

*includes couples, same sex couples and children including fostered and adopted and any other relatives.

NOTE: Where tenants claim to be related we expect landlords and/or managers to have taken out appropriate checks to be confident that they are related and the property is not being occupied as a HMO.


  • Three friends = 3 households
  • A couple and a 1 friend = 2 households
  • A couple living with their parent are 1 household
  • A couple, sharing with 3 strangers who are all friends but not related would be 4 households
  • 2 friends would be 2 household because they are not related
  • 2 families would be 2 households


Some flats are also covered under the Additional Licensing Scheme and some buildings with flats may require a licence, or more than one licence.

This can include:

  • flats within purpose built accommodation

(where there are 3 or more occupants from 2 or more households- see the definition for households above)

  • Converted blocks of flats

The whole building could require a licence

  • Buildings with self-contained flats

Some buildings can also require more than one licence.

If one (or more) of the flats is occupied as a HMO then this will need a licence (as mentioned directly above), however, the whole building may also need a licence if:

  • it does not meet the 1991 Building Regulations (or those thereafter)
  • no more than 2/3 of the building is owner occupied

This is unless ALL of the flats within the building are licensed separately.

More information on Building Regulations can be found on the Government Website.

See if a flat requires license button

More information can be found on our page dedicated to Flats and Section 257 HMOs.


You can download, view or save the fee table here.

These are the licensing fees as of 1st December 2013.

The Housing Act 2004 sets out that the licensing fee is set by the Local Authority and that this fee is required for an application to be considered as ‘duly made*’.

*duly made is the point in which we accept an application as being submitted with all of the information that is legally required

The City Council may decide to issue the Licence for any amount of time, up to a maximum of five years. 

What happens if I do not apply for a renewal before the date of expiry of my current Licence?

Nottingham City Council will apply the fee which is applicable at the time the application is received for renewals, irrespective of whether any lower fee was applicable at the time a previous Licence expired. 

How To Pay For a Licence

Payment can be made by cheque (payable to Nottingham City Council) or over the telephone by debit or credit card.  Please note that the City Council does not accept cash. 

As of early 2018; only card payments will be taken via the online application system and will be required before the application is submitted to us.

Requirements for a Licence

The Council will consider whether:

  • the property is suitable for the number of persons requested
  • the proposed licence holder and manager are 'fit and proper persons'
  • the arrangements for managing the property are satisfactory as per the HMO Management Regulations

The Council will use the information you provide in the application and may also inspect the property to make its assessment.  It will then either refuse or grant a licence. Licenses will have certain standard conditions relating to the management of the property and may have other conditions requiring, for example, the installation of further amenities.

Appeal Against Condition(s)

Before issuing the full licence (or refusal) we issue a draft licence (or refusal).  This gives you the opportunity to study the document and then make representations to us.  Once the full licence (or refusal) has been issued, you have 28 days to appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal (RPT).  Please visit the RPT pages for details of how to appeal.  

Failure to apply for a Licence

Landlords and agents who fail to apply for a licence face prosecution and a criminal record, with fines of up to £20,000 or a Civil Penalty notice of up to £30,000. With prosecutions; the City Council may apply for all the income the property has generated, whilst unlicensed, to be seized, under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.  If the landlord is convicted of failing to apply for a licence, tenants will also be able to apply to have their rent repaid.

Further Information about HMO Licensing

Please click here to visit the DASH - Decent and Safe Homes website for further information or the Legislation website Statutory Instrument 2006 No. 371. You can also contact the HMO Team within Environmental Health.

If you are the owner, manager or person in control of an HMO and are in any doubt whether it needs a Licence, please contact the HMO Team within Environmental Health on 0115 915 2020 (Options 5) or by e-mail at hmo@nottinghamcity.gov.uk  for clarification.

Planning Permission

There are restrictions which apply to changing the use of dwellings.  Please visit the Planning pages of the web site for further information, particularly in relation to the Article 4 Direction which applies directly to the conversion of single family dwellings into HMOs.


Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...