Adaptions and Disabled Facilities Grant

Working with you and your Occupational Therapist to find out what you need, we will design and arrange adaptations to make living at home easier.

Can I get help?

We can help you if:

  • you have, or someone living with you has, significant needs at home due to disability or long-term health problems and your Occupational Therapist recommends adaptation works to your home
  • it does not matter whether you are an owner or a tenant - we can support you whether you own your own home, are a Nottingham City Homes tenant, a Housing Association tenant, a private tenant or a landlord

What sort of adaptations can be made to my house?

That all depends on what you need as an individual and the type of home you live in.

Examples of adaptations include:

  • ramps and paths to help you to get into your house more easily
  • widening the doors in your house to make it easier for you to get about
  • providing a stairlift or vertical lift to help you get upstairs
  • Fitting a shower over your bath
  • replacing your bath with a shower area that has a level floor to make access easier
  • moving your bath/toilet etc. into a more suitable position for you
  • improving the layout of your kitchen if you use a wheelchair
  • moving electric switches and controls into more accessible positions
  • flashing-light relays for door bells to help if you are deaf
  • building a shower-room or bedroom extension on the ground floor of your house if it is not possible to make suitable alterations elsewhere

We do not cover repairs and renovations, decoration, or overcrowding issues.


Who do I need to speak to so that I can get help?

If you think that you would benefit from adaptations you should contact the Occupational Therapy Service who will assess your needs at home.

The Occupational Therapy Service can help you in many ways:

  • by providing equipment such as a raised toilet seat or chair raiser
  • by making minor adaptations like grab rails and stair rails
  • by recommending you to be re-housed to a more suitable property
  • or if you wish, referring you to other services

What happens next?

If the Occupational Therapy Service decides that we need to make adaptations to your home, they will refer your details to us at the Adaptations Agency.

After we have received your referral, we will contact you and arrange the adaptation.

Minor Adaptations

We can make simple adaptations quickly without the need for design work and these can often be ordered within 2 to 3 weeks.

Major Adaptations

We need to design most adaptations, so we will work in consultation with you and your Occupational Therapist, to meet your own individual needs. An Adaptations Agency Project Officer will contact you to arrange a visit.

This may take several months, depending on the priority and current level of demand. We will keep you informed of how long this process is likely to take.

We can provide the following services:

  • arrangements for an interpreter
  • help with red tape - for instance, you may need to apply for Building Control approval or a grant or you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant. We can process and approve it for you
  • sketches, plans and list of work, to help you and the builder
  • support to help make sure that you get the best quality work for the best value
  • get prices from approved builders on your behalf and help you to choose which one to use
  • a building contract to protect your interests and get work done on time
  • regular visits whilst the works are underway to supervise on your behalf
  • organising payments to contractors and checking that final accounts are correct

After the Project Officer has visited you, the time taken to complete the works depends on the size and complexity of the scheme. A simple ramp may be installed within a few days, whereas a complex extension will take over 6 months.


How much will this cost?

If you are a Nottingham City Homes tenant, adaptations are currently FREE because the Council, as landlord, pays for all the work.

If you own your own home or are a private tenant, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to assist you in paying for the adaptations.

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

A Disabled Facilities Grant is a sum of money offered to you, if you are eligible, to cover:

  • improvements to help you to access your home
  • improving access to your living room and bedroom
  • improving access to, or providing a toilet, bath, shower or wash hand basin
  • improving access to your food preparation areas and cooking facilities
  • improving, or providing, heating
  • improving access to your light and power switches
  • help with access around your home to allow you to care for others
  • safety issues

How much is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

The amount of grant awarded depends on a "means test" by which we calculate your share (if any) of the costs. For many people the grant will cover the whole cost. We will help you with your application for a grant, and process it for you.

Please note that:

  • adaptations for children are exempt from the means test
  • this grant is limited to a maximum of £30,000
  • we charge a fee to process your adaptations scheme, but if you are eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant, the fee can be included in the grant

Get in touch

If you would like to find out more about how Nottingham City Council can make it easier for you to get in and around your home, you should first contact an Occupational Therapy Service Advisor, who will discuss your needs with you.


Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...