Being a Carer

Help and support available for people who care for someone

Carers are people who look after family, partners or friends who are ill, frail, have a disability or a mental health problem. They may be caring for another adult or be a parent of a disabled child. The care they provide is unpaid.

If someone relies on you for support on a regular basis, or is going to rely on you, then you have the right to an assessment of your needs. This is called a Carers Assessment. A Carers Assessment is your opportunity to talk to someone about your caring role, and what help might be available to support you in this role. There are no right or wrong answers, it’s just about your needs. Depending on your situation, you could access services to support you as a carer, and services may also be provided or arranged for the person you care for, with their consent, to help you in your caring role.

You can have a Carers Assessment by contacting the Carers Hub provided by Carers Trust East Midlands. We pay Carers Trust to do this on our behalf, because it’s important to us that you can get the support you need. Or if you prefer, you can contact us directly.

Support for you as a carer

Carers Trust East Midlands provide a Carers Hub to offer timely, personalised, joined up information and support for carers in Nottingham, to make it easier for you to find help when you need it. The Carers Hub is a one-stop service, providing one point of contact and support for carers in Nottingham, whether you need information about social services, healthcare or both. The Carers Hub offers:

  • Information, advice and guidance
  • Carer Assessments to identify and understand your needs
  • Carers groups and drop ins
  • Access to Carers Respite breaks
  • Carers’ ID cards and help with planning for emergencies
  • Mindfulness therapies
  • Free training and caring support
  • Carers Smart’ benefits and discounts
  • Signposting to other organisations for information about things like the condition of person you care for, what to do if you’re not happy with the support they get, and advocacy

For more information about support available in Nottingham, visit the Carers Trust East Midlands Carers Hub website www.carerstrustem.org/hubYou can also download a referral form from the Carers Trust East Midlands Carers Hub.

If you want to contact the Carers Hub you can use any of the details below:

Telephone: 0115 824 8824 or email hub@carerstrustem.org


Write to:
Carers Trust East Midlands
19 Pelham Road

or connect with: 
Facebook: CTEastMidlands
Twitter: @CarersTrustEM


To contact the Council directly

Contact the Nottingham Health and Care Point on 0300 131 0300, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, or email adult.contactteam@nottinghamcity.gov.uk 

From 1 August 2017 the Nottingham Health and Care Point will be changing their hours to 8am to 6pm 5 days a week.

If your query or concern is urgent and it is outside of these hours please call the Emergency Duty Team on 0115 876 1000.

Breaks from caring

Respite care can give the person you care for the chance to enjoy new experiences and to make new friends. In turn this means carers receive a break from caring and time to recharge their batteries. For more information contact the Carers Hub, or you can contact us directly.

Young carers

Young people can be carers too! If you’re under 18, and think you might be a carer, or if you know a young person in this situation, you can contact Action for Young Carers at the Carers Federation on 0115 962 9351 or email aycnottingham@carersfederation.co.uk or visit the website http://aycnottingham.co.uk 

What does it cost?

The Carers Hub, short term Carers Respite and Action for Young Carers are commissioned by Nottingham City Council and NHS Nottingham City Clinical Commissioning Group, and are FREE to you, to support you as a carer.

The person you care for may still be charged for any support provided directly to them.

Where else can I get help locally?

The Carers Hub can provide you with information on other groups or services you could go to for advice on specific conditions. Or you could also look at:

  • Carers Federation, support for carers. Website: www.carersfederation.co.uk or call: 0115 962 931
  • Rainbow Parents Carers Forum, support for parents who care for a disabled child. Website: http://rainbowparentscarersforum.org.uk or call: 0115 934 8451
  • Local Information Online Nottingham (LiON). A directory of local information, advice and support available to help you and the person you care for. Website: www.asklion.co.uk/kb5/nottingham/directory/home.page
  • Learning Disability Carers' Forum, support for carers of someone with a learning disability, ensuring carers’ voices are heard. Call: 0115 852 8000
  • Age UK , provides services for older people. Website www.ageuk.org.uk/notts or call: 0115 844 0011
  • Nottinghamshire NHS Foundation Trust, a community and mental health services. Website www.nottinghamshirehealthcare.nhs.uk/home or call: 0115 969 1300
  • Nottingham Mencap, support for people with a learning disability, and their families. Website www.nottinghammencap.org.uk or call: 0115 920 9524

Where can I get help nationally? 

  • Carers UK , provides advice and support for carers. Website: www.carersuk.org
  • Carers Trust UK, a National charity supporting carers. Website: www.carers.org
  • Include, Children’s Society initiative supporting young carers and their families. Website: www.youngcarer.com/
  • Contact A Family, supporting families of disabled children. Website:www.cafamily.org.uk or call: 0808 808 3555
  • Alzheimer's Society, for Alzheimer's and Dementia. Website: www.alzheimers.org.uk, Tel: 0115 934 3800
  • MIND, helping people with mental ill health. Website: www.mind.org.uk
  • SANE, helping people affected by mental illness. Website: www.sane.org.uk or call: 0300 304 7000
  • SCOP, a National charity supporting people with a disability. Website www.scope.org.uk or call: 0808 800 3333
  • Mencap, a National charity supporting people with a learning disability. Website www.mencap.org.uk
  • Headway, support after a brain injury. Website: www.headway.org.uk or call: 0115 924 0800

For information on the Mental Capacity Act see NHS Choices, Website http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/mental-capacity.aspx

Or Social Institute for Excellence (SCIE), Website http://www.scie.org.uk/mca/introduction/mental-capacity-act-2005-at-a-glance

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...