Facebook Pixel
Commissioners appointed |

The Government has announced that Commissioners are to be appointed for Nottingham City Council.  For further information, the council’s response and FAQs can be read here.


Your child will be able to get free school meals if they’re in:

  • Reception class
  • Year 1
  • Year 2

Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit -Your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)

Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian can also get free school meals.

Your child may also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:

City Academy

If your child attends Bluecoat Academy, The Nottingham Emmanual C of E School, Portland Spencer Academy, Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, St Patricks Vol Academy or Djanogly City Academy, please apply directly to the relevant Academy. This list is not exhaustive and may change in the future. For other academies, contact Pupil Benefits.


Completing this service should take around 10 minutes.

To complete this service you will need.

The best way to make sure you start making savings sooner is to provide us with the evidence we need.

For example:

  • A letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Jobcentre Plus confirming your current benefits and dated within the last 6 weeks
  • Child Tax Credit award letter (TC602(A)) for the current tax year
  • Take the completed application form to your Jobcentre Plus or DWP office and ask them to stamp the form to confirm which benefits you receive
  • Proof of asylum status, such as your Home Office paperwork showing your NASS number

Once the application form is completed you can send it to us using any of the following options. You can:

Download an application form here

Changes to your circumstances

Changes to your circumstances may mean that you are no longer entitled to claim a free school meal for your child(ren) and you could be charged for them. So, please let us know about any changes as soon as possible.

The quickest way you can let us know is to email Pupil.benefits


Related Pages

Contact Us

Pupil Benefits
Loxley House
Station Street


Tel: 0115 915 4084

Is there anything wrong with this page?