Noise Pollution

Noise Pollution

Below are some examples of types of noise that are likely to have a detrimental effect on the health, well-being and quality of life of those in the locality. They may constitute anti-social behaviour and may also be statutory noise nuisances:

  • Music and speech from a Hi-Fi or television operated at excessive volume
  • Shouting and raised voices for prolonged periods
  • Dogs barking for prolonged periods
  • DIY activities at unreasonable times
  • Burglar alarms that develop faults and sound repeatedly or do not cut out after 20 minutes
  • Vehicle alarms that develop faults and sound repeatedly
  • Music 'breakout' from licensed premises such as pubs and nightclubs
  • Noise from industrial and commercial processes and activities which are not using 'Best Practicable Means' to control or minimise noise
  • Noise from demolition or construction sites occurring at unreasonable times, or from un-silenced or poorly maintained equipment, or from not using 'Best Practicable Means' to control or minimise noise

Noise from a Nuisance Alarm

A Community Protection Officer ('CPO') will be tasked to investigate the alarm and contact the owner or occupier to arrange for the alarm to be switched off or reset. For externally sounding alarms, where the person responsible cannot be found quickly then the CPO will arrange for the alarm to be silenced under the provisions of sections 77 and 79 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.

If the alarm is an internal alarm and the person responsible cannot be found quickly, then the CPO will refer the case to the Environmental Health and Safer Places Team who will serve Notice on the person responsible under the provisions of section 80 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 before applying to the Court to obtain a warrant to enter the property using reasonable force to silence the alarm. Please note that resolving this type of alarm incident will inevitably be a longer process.

Noise from a Domestic Neighbour

If you are being disturbed by noise from a neighbour firstly consider approaching them yourself and explaining in a polite and constructive manner that you are being disturbed by their noise and explain how it is affecting you. You may find this difficult but often people are unaware that they are causing a problem and most will be glad to do what they can to reduce noise. However, approach the matter carefully if you think your neighbour might react angrily to a complaint.

Nottingham City Council’s Community Protection Service has made special arrangements with Nottinghamshire Police for dealing with ASB noise and so if you are affected by loud music/parties outside of these hours, and you pay your Council Tax to Nottingham City Council, you can call the Police non-emergency number 101.

Noise arising from domestic violence incidents or other violent confrontations must be reported to the Police on 999. Please do not call 999 except in an emergency.

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...