The Early Years Team sits within the School Access and Inclusion Department for the Children and Adults Directorate of Nottingham City Council. The work of the team supports early years settings, including day nurseries, pre-schools, childminders, foundation stage provision in schools, including independent schools, and out of school provision.
As a team, we work within a range of legislative frameworks. The primary ones of these with links to the full articles can be downloaded here - Legislative Frameworks.
The purpose of the Team is to:
- Ensure sufficient childcare and early education places for the City, recorded in the Childcare Sufficiency Assessment, which underpins economic growth and stability for employment
- Support the provision of funded places for 2, 3 and 4 year olds including sufficiency of quality and accessible provision, supporting providers through the Provider Support Framework and measuring uptake and participation of these places
- Disseminate relevant National Early Years policies (for example, 30 hours and the revised EYFS Statutory Framework) by taking responsibility, leading or supporting implementation, as appropriate
- Implement and manage the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile (EYFSP) Moderation process
- Produce robust and comprehensive Continuous Professional Development opportunities for the early years workforce
The support for, and inclusion of, children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and the safeguarding of all children are overarching and underpin all aspects of the Team’s work to ensure all children and young people thrive and achieve in their chosen provision in their early years.