Home Coronavirus (COVID-19) Residents Frequently Asked Questions (COVID-19)

To get the latest Coronavirus updates from Nottingham City Council please visit our My Nottingham News website. 

You can also sign up to receive these updates via email. 

Sign up here


Nottingham City Council has a Local Outbreak Control Plan that sets out how we will prepare for future outbreaks of Covid-19 in Nottingham.


If you are a Nottingham City Council resident who is self-isolating, and you do not have anyone that can help or support you, we are here to help.

If you need help getting essential items e.g. picking up prescriptions or groceries please call the Customer Hub on 0115 915 5555.

The government’s shielding programme has been paused, but we can put you in touch with support services available in Nottingham.

Test and Trace Support Payment

The Government have announced a new financial package to support and enforce self-isolation (External link)

In some circumstances, if you are required by law to self-isolate from the 28 of September you may be supported by a payment of £500, payable from Nottingham City Council. 

We are waiting on detailed guidance from Government and until this is received the Council is not currently in a position to accept applications or make payments. We will be updating this page with further details as we get them.

It is intended that the scheme will be up and running by the 12th of October in line with Government's request. 

Information about the scheme

Who can get the Test and Trace Support Payment?

To get the Test and Trace Support Payment, you must be:

  • asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because they’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • employed or self-employed
  • unable to work from home and will lose income as a result and
  • currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

How much is the payment?

You may be supported by a lump sum payment of £500

Will this payment be taxed?

This payment will be subject to income tax. It will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

How long will this be in place for?

The scheme will run until 31 January 2021.

When will this come into force?

These changes will come into effect on 28 September 2020, alongside the legal duty to self-isolate.  Nottingham City is expected to have our systems in place by 12 October; individuals who are eligible prior to that date will be able to make a backdated claim.

Become a volunteer

If you would like to help out within the community by delivering food packages or providing phone support become a volunteer with Nottingham Community and Voluntary Service

You can also help the NHS by becoming a Volunteer Responder.

Support your neighbours

Here is suggested guidance to help your neighbours during COVID-19

  • Phone people who are self-isolating – a friendly chat can really make someone’s day
  • Check on your neighbours – wear a face covering, knock and stand 2 metres back from the door to avoid close contact
  • Pick up groceries for people who are self-isolating – when you deliver them, knock and take 3 steps back from the door leaving items on the doorstep
  • Donate to your local foodbank – find a list of them here: asklion.co.uk/food
  • Please take every precaution not to spread the virus:
    Hands – wash your hands
    Face - wear a face covering
    Space - avoid close contact
  • Download the NHS Covid-19 app to protect yourself and others https://covid19.nhs.uk/
  • If you have any Covid-19 symptoms visit https://covid19.nhs.uk/ and ensure you self-isolate for 14 days.

Make a donation to the Robin Hund Fund

The Robin Hood Fund supports people affected by Coronavirus in Nottingham.

Find out more > http://www.mynottinghamnews.co.uk/the-robin-hood-fund-launches-to-support-those-affected-by-coronavirus-in-nottingham/

Together in Nottingham we can look after each other during the Coronavirus pandemic.

Thank you for helping.

Please call Meals at Home 0115 8761847 or look at our website https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/mealsathome

If you have concerns or questions about whether your premises should be open/working during the coronavirus pandemic, contact us at safety.enforcement@nottinghamcity.gov.uk.

Click here for the latest government guidance for returning to work safely.

Due to COVID-19, we are altering our services running from the Customer Hub at Loxley House. This is to avoid unnecessary exposure to the public. Alternative contact methods are available for our services as detailed below.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Services are closed for routine appointments with customers until further notice.

Customers can continue to access these services through the following methods:


Nottingham City Council web page - https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/

Housing Benefit & Council tax Support: 

Council Tax: https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/information-for-residents/council-tax/



Housing Benefit & Council Tax Support: benefits.housing@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

Council Tax: counciltax@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

24/7 automated telephone service:     

  • Housing Benefit & Council Tax Support: 0115 7184444
  • Council Tax Billing & Recovery: 0115 7181777 


Housing Aid will still be operating in Loxley House but will be by an appointment only service to try and limit the need for customers to wait around. You can access their services by:

If you have an open case with Housing Aid please quote your case number when contacting us.

Entrance to Loxley House is through Trent Street only.


Other services

All other services are currently not running at Loxley House. Please contact the specific team you need for further information or call our Customer Hub to direct you on 0115 915 2000.

Update 06 October 2020 

You can get information on evictions and the extended 6 month notice period for tenants here. See the Government support package for renters here. 

It is illegal for a landlord to evict you without the correct court notice. If they are harassing you, have locked you out your home, or they are on your doorstep trying to make you leave, dial 999.

Get help from the council or the court if your landlord stops you from accessing your home.

Guidance for Tenants

Read the latest non-statutory guidance for landlords, tenants, and local authorities in the private and social rented sectors - COVID-19 and renting: guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities 

Working Safely during COVID 19 in your property

Read the latest information on people who need to carry out repairs or work in your home here. You can also see guidance on people working in, visiting, or delivering to other people's homes here.

What to do if you or someone in your home thinks they may have the virus

If you or someone in your home thinks they may have the virus, they much self-isolate, get tested, and inform your landlords or managing agent. Get the latest advice from the Government here - COVID-19: guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection 

(This guidance is available in a range of languages)

If you have a question which hasn't been answered above, please contact our Customer Services team online or call our customer hub on 0115 915 5555