There are lots of misconceptions about who can adopt. If you're over the age of 21 and can provide a permanent, stable and caring home to a child or children in our care we would welcome your enquiry.
We welcome enquiries from
- Individuals and couples (Married/Divorced/Living together/Same sex/Civil partnership)
- People with or without children
- Disabled people
- Home owners or tenants
- Working and unemployed people
- Anyone over the age of 21
- Any religious faith or no faith
- All racial and ethnic backgrounds
What qualities are you looking for?
All adopters must be able to provide a safe, healthy and nurturing home for a child. Some qualities are the same as those asked of any parent but there are extra qualities needed to care and bring up a child who is not born into your family.
- Is everyone in your household equally committed to adoption
- Can you show a positive understanding and promote a child's origin, religion and culture
- Are you able to 'stand back' from problems and be flexible in resolving them
- Can you make attachments and build and maintain supportive and loving relationships
- Can you talk about feelings, difficulties and reflect on your own experiences
- Have you come to terms with past losses, for example feelings about infertility
- Can you understand how a child's past experiences may affect their current and future behaviour and needs
- Are you able to value a child's history and promote a balanced view of the past for a child
- Can you show an openness to encourage positive contact with people from a child's past, now and in the future
- Are you able to manage a child's behaviour without using physical or other inappropriate forms of control
- Do you have an understanding of child development and an ability to listen and communicate with children
- Do you actively value diversity and have an awareness of race, culture, disability, gender, gender orientation and religious issues
- Are you open to working together with us and to use training and supervision to improve your skills and knowledge about adoption
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...