Transport and Streets Licences

Transport and street licensing 

Taxi Licensing
Nottingham City Council licenses Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles and Drivers who work within the City boundary.

Street trading
Information on street trading and locations within the Nottingham area. 


If you intend to to carry out house to house collections for charitable purposes you will need to apply for a licence.

If you wish to carry out house to house collections for a period of less than 28 days you can apply for a Certificate of Exemption from Nottinghamshire Police who can be contacted on 101.   

However, once a permit has been issued, you will need to apply to HM Stationery Office for copies of the prescribed Certificate of Authority and prescribed Badges (which you will need to supply to all your collectors).

Application for House to House Collection625.5Kb

There is no fee payable for a permit.

After a collection has been held a return form, signed by an accountant, detailing the amount collected and any expenses incurred, needs to be submitted to the local authority within one month.

Collections which are to be carried out nationwide can apply to the Secretary of State for an exemption order which exempts the holder from the need to apply to the Police or the local authority before collecting.

If the intention is for a House to House collection to be run as a business with an amount donated to charity then a licence is not required.   

A permit is required if the collection is for charitable or similar purposes.

Nottingham City Council grants permits for Saturdays in the City Centre in the preceding December of each year and after that will only consider applications for Saturdays in localised areas, or for disasters which could not have been foreseen.

Street Collection Information Sheet.pdf611.5Kb

There is no fee payable for this permit.

There are five areas in the Nottingham City boundary that require you to be issued with a permit if you wish to distribute.

Area 1  City Centre Area 2  CliftonArea 3  Radford Road Area 4  Forest and Mansfield Road< Area 5  Bulwell

It is not permitted within the five areas to put any free printed material on car windscreens.

Examples of printed matter include:

  • Flyers
  • Free Newspapers
  • Free Samples (such as cans of drink, crisps etc)
  • Printed balloons
  • anything free and has printing on it

Outside the areas detailed on the maps above, there is no need to have a permit but a polite request is made to please clear up after yourself.

Please note that you cannot distribute leaflets in the Old Market Square unless you are doing so as part of a promotional booking of the space.  You may only distribute from the streets and areas around the Square and we ask that you don't approach anyone who is taking part in any events in the area.  If you would like to enquire into hiring a city centre promotional space please email outdoorevent.bookings@nottinghamcity.gov.uk.  

People caught distributing printed material in one of the five areas without the correct consent will be issued with a fixed penalty fine of £75 or prosecuted.  The local authority will also take away the material being distributed.

The requirement to have a permit does not apply to material distributed by or on behalf of a charity, distribution is for political purposes, for the purposes of religion or a belief or delivering items to properties letter boxes.

For details, including prices, of how to apply for a permit please see:

Application Form for Distribution of Free Printed Material Distribution Guidance Notes

Your application and payment has to be received at least 7 days before you wish to use the permit. 

For further information please contact the licensing office on 0115 915 6571.

Contact Us

Commercial & Operations Licensing Central Police Station Byron House Maid Marian Way Nottingham NG1 6HS
Tel: 0115 915 6571

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...