The Nationality Checking Team will check that your application is completed correctly, before sending it securely and swiftly to the Home Office on your behalf.
2 levels of service are available:
- Nationality Checking Service – British Citizenship application. This does not include an application for a passport
- Nationality Checking Service - Joint application for British Citizenship and British passport
Please ensure that you use the latest application and guidance documents from www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen website and read all of the accompanying guidance notes very carefully.
Please be advised that if you bring the wrong form(s) to your appointment, we will not refund your checking fee, and you will not be able to proceed with your application.
If you are using the joint citizenship and passport checking service, please obtain a passport form/forms from your local post office. Please do not use an online passport application form, as this is not acceptable if you are applying via the nationality checking service.
We are trained and registered with the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC), and we work in partnership with the Home Office to deliver a friendly and efficient service.
- Check you have completed the necessary forms correctly
- Check you have supplied all the required supporting documents
- Copy and certify all your documents - including your passport - so you can keep them with you
- Send your application to the Home Office via secure next day mail service
We have a dedicated team ready to help you. We will tell you what information to bring with you and will aim to make an appointment to see you within 10 days. You need to apply in person - even if you are applying jointly with your wife, husband or civil partner. Children under 18 do not need to attend in person. You will need to bring:
- A completed citizenship application form (The most recent available from the Home Office website)
- Proof of your knowledge of Life and Language in the United Kingdom
- All documents listed in the guidance notes on your application
- The correct application fee payable to the Home Office
- The Nationality Checking Service fee (a separate fee from the Home Office application fee)
The checking service fees are as follows and can be paid by cash, debit or credit card:
Nationality Checking Service Fees from 1 November 2017
- £75.00 per applicant (Adults and Children)
British Passport Checking fee from 1 November 2017
- £10.00 per applicant (Adults and Children)
We will ask you to pay the fee at the time of booking. We cannot make an appointment without the correct fee, and we will not refund your payment if you fail to attend your appointment, or fail to give us 2 working days notice if you need to change your appointment.
On the day of your appointment, our representative will be happy to provide you with a copy of your completed application or passport form at a charge of £5 per form. Please bring the £5 with you in cash to your appointment.
Your British Citizenship application fee for the Home Office can be paid by credit or debit card, postal order or cheque, with a cheque guarantee card payable to 'The Accounting Officer, Home Office'. PLEASE NOTE: if you are planning to pay your Home Office fee(s) with a debit card, we strongly advise you to contact your bank to tell them that a large payment will be leaving your account. Otherwise, your bank may stop the payment, as a fraud prevention measure, and this will result in your application being delayed.
Your passport application fee is paid by filling in the payment details on page 25 of the “applying for a passport” booklet.
Joint British passport and citizenship application checking service
Nottingham City Council’s Nationality team can now help you to apply for your UK passport at the same time as your citizenship application. If your application for British citizenship is successful, your new passport will be posted to your home address shortly after your attendance at a citizenship ceremony.
If you choose to use the joint citizenship and passport application service, please make sure that you follow the steps below when filling out your passport application form:
- Complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You do not need to complete section 10 or have your 2 photographs certified, as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- Photographs submitted with your nationality and passport applications must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards in the application guidance. You do not need to get these photos certified, as referee details will be collected as part of your application for British Citizenship
- Section 1 - if you are within 6 months of your 16th birthday at the time of submitting your application, you must attend the appointment in person
- Section 2 - please do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Enter it in Section 8 instead
- Section 4 - grandparents’ details are not required
- You must complete the payment mandate on Page 25 of the guidance booklet “applying for a passport”. Please ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the appropriate box, and that the card details are entered accurately. Please do not write the barcode details from your passport application form onto your payment form, as this is not required
- If you are unsure about any requirements, please leave the form blank and complete it at your appointment
Nottingham City Council offers a European Passport Return Service where we copy and return your passport if you are applying for a Permanent Residence (PR) or Qualifying Person (QP) registration document online. We cannot offer this service if you’re applying using paper application forms.
You can apply online here:
Important- Demand for the service is extremely high at the moment and therefore we cannot guarantee to offer you an appointment straightaway.
If you use this service, you will need to attend your appointment within five working days of submitting your online application, so please do not submit it until you’ve secured an appointment
We charge £20.00 per person to make a certified copy of your pasport and to post your documents. If you wish to send a large quantity of documents, we will ask you to pay an extra fee to cover the cost of postage.
Please email your telephone contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0115 841 5554 if you would like to arrange an appointment.
We will be happy to help.
For more information on the Nationality Checking Service or to book an appointment contact the Nationality Checking Team:
Telephone : 0115 841 5554
The City of Nottingham Registration Service
The Council House
Old Market Square
We can only check you have the correct paperwork and that your application has been correctly completed. We cannot give immigration advice or act for you after you have made your application. If you need further assistance or advice you should contact the Home Office Nationality Enquiries Helpline on 0300 123 2253 or visit www.oisc.gov.uk.
Q. If I use the Nationality Checking Service, does that guarantee a successful application?
A. No. Your application will be assessed by the Home Office and they may need to make further enquiries. NCS is not a priority service for processing your application with the Home Office but complete and accurate forms are processed on average more quickly that incomplete applications or those requiring further information.
Q. When applying for British Citizenship how do I prove my knowledge of "Life in the UK?"
A. When applying for British citizenship you need to prove your knowledge of life in the UK by supplying proof that you have passed a life in the UK test. In addition, you will need an English language (SELT) qualification at level B1 or above, please visit www.gov.uk to see which knowledge of English language tests are acceptable.
Q. What should i do if i need to travel whilst my application is being processed?
A. If you are planning to leave the UK at all in the two months following your application you need to be aware that you will be invited to enrol your biometrics at some point in that period. You need to be aware of the fact that you only have 15 days to enrol your biometrics, and failure to do so in the requisite period could result in the rejection of your application.
For more information on the "Life in the UK" test visit www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk or telephone 0800 015 4245. For information on ESOL courses contact the Learn Direct Helpline on 0800 100900 or the learndirect website at www.learndirect.co.uk.
We always welcome feedback and suggestions to improve the quality of our service. If you would like to give us feedback about this service, or make a complaint please:
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 0115 841 5554
- Write to us at
Nottingham Register Office
The Council House
Old Market Square
Alternatively, you may if you wish write directly to:
The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
21 Bloomsbury Street
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...