Changes to British nationality applications from 30th November 2018
From the 30th of November 2018, Local Authorities will no longer offer the National Document Return Service online application(s) for British Citizenship with paper application(s) for a British Passport. The Service will operate as usual until this date.
From the 31st of December 2018, Local Authorities will no longer provide the Nationality Checking Service paper-based application(s) for British Citizenship. The Service will operate as usual until this date.
The European Passport Return Service and British Citizenship Ceremonies will continue as before.
For information on how to apply after these dates, please see below:
New UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (not operated by City Council)
From November 2018, the majority of customers will complete their applications online, and attend new service centres in the UK named UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services.
Customers will attend an appointment at a service centre to submit their biometric information (photo and fingerprints), and supporting evidence (including proof of identity).
Please be aware that Nottingham City Council’s Registration Service will be not be offering this service and will not be able to offer any advice or assistance with the application process. To learn more about the new services please visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ukvis-new-front-end-services-what-you-need-to-know
Assisted Digital Service: UKVI have set up an Assisted Digital support service that is available to customers who do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete an online application form. Eligible customers are offered telephone support, or face-to-face support at a library or their home, to help them access and complete the online form. Please be aware Nottingham City Council’s Registration Service cannot offer these facilities and cannot offer any advice on accessing them. For more information and contact details for the Assisted Digital service please visit:
- Phone: 03333 445 675
- Text message: text the word “VISA” to 07537 416 944
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nationality services offered by the Nottingham city council
We are very happy to assist you, but the Nationality Checking Service (NCS), National Document Return Service (NDRS) and European Passport Return Service are purely administrative services, to copy passports and post documents securely. NCS, NDRS, EPRS. Officers are not authorised to give immigration advice or advise you on the validity or suitability of any documents submitted in support of your application.
Applications for British Citizenship
3 levels of service are available:
- Nationality Checking Service British Citizenship application (using a paper application form). Please be aware that it is not possible to submit a joint British Passport and British Citizenship application using a paper application form. Please ensure that you use the latest application and guidance documents from uk/becoming-a-british-citizenwebsite and read all of the accompanying guidance notes very carefully. The fee for this service is £85.00 per applicant payable in advance via credit or debit card at the time of booking
- Joint British Citizenship and British Passport application applied for online at https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/nationality-anwith documents checked and sent using the National Document Return Service (NDRS). If you are using the joint citizenship and passport checking service, please obtain a passport form from your local post office. Please do not use an online passport application form. The fee for this service is £75.00 per applicant payable in advance via debit or credit card at the time of booking
- British Citizenship application applied for online at https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/nationality-an with documents checked and sent using the National Document Return Service (NDRS). The fee for this service is £60.00 per applicant payable in advance via debit or credit card at the time of booking
If you have any queries regarding your eligibility to apply for British Citizenship, please contact the UK Visas and Immigration Nationality Helpline on 0300 123 2253.
Completing your British Passport Application Form
If you choose to use the joint citizenship and passport application service, please make sure that you follow the steps below when filling out your passport application form:
- Complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You do not need to complete section 10 or have your 2 photographs certified, as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- Photographs submitted with your nationality and passport applications must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards in the application guidance. You do not need to get these photos certified, as referee details will be collected as part of your application for British Citizenship
- Section 1, if you are within 6 months of your 16th birthday at the time of submitting your application, you must attend the appointment in person
- Section 2, please do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Enter it in Section 8 instead
- Section 4, grandparents’ details are not required
- You must complete the payment mandate on Page 25 of the guidance booklet “applying for a passport”. Please ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the appropriate box, and that the card details are entered accurately. Please do not write the barcode details from your passport application form onto your payment form, as this is not required
- If you are unsure about any requirements, please leave the form blank and complete it at your appointment
European Passport Return Service
Nottingham City Council offers a European Passport Return Service where we copy and return your passport if you are applying for a Permanent Residence (PR) or Qualifying Person (QP) registration document online. We cannot offer this service if you’re applying using paper application forms.
You can apply online here:
Important: Demand for the service is extremely high and we cannot guarantee to offer you an appointment straightaway. If you use this service, you will need to attend your appointment within ten working days of submitting your online application, so please do not submit it until you’ve secured an appointment
We charge £25.00 per person to make a certified copy of your passport and to post your documents. If you wish to send a large quantity of documents, we will ask you to pay an extra fee to cover the cost of postage.
Please email your telephone contact details to email@example.com or call 0115 841 5554 if you would like to arrange an appointment.
We will be happy to help.
For more information on the Nationality Checking Service, National Document Return Service, European Passport Return Service or to book, an appointment contact the City of Nottingham Nationality Team:
Telephone: 0115 841 5554
The City of Nottingham Registration Service
The Council House
Old Market Square
We can only check you have the correct paperwork and that your application has been completed correctly. We cannot give immigration advice or act for you after you have made your application. If you need further assistance or advice you should contact the Home Office Nationality Enquiries Helpline on 0300 123 2253 or visit www.oisc.gov.uk.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I don’t live in the city of Nottingham, can I still use your service?
- Yes, we will be happy to assist you. You can use a Local Authority Checking Service in any town or City
- If I use a Local Authority Checking Service, does that guarantee a successful application?
- Your application will be assessed by the Home Office and they may need to make further enquiries. Using a Local Authority Checking Service doesn’t guarantee that your application will be fast-tracked, but complete and accurate forms are processed on average more quickly that incomplete applications or those requiring further information
- When applying for British Citizenship how do I prove my knowledge of "Life in the UK?"
- When applying for British citizenship you need to prove your knowledge of life in the UK by supplying proof that you have passed a life in the UK test. In addition, you will need an English language (SELT) qualification at level B1 or above, please visit gov.uk to see which knowledge of English language tests are acceptable. For more information on the "Life in the UK" test visit www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk or telephone 0800 015 4245
- What should I do if I need to travel whilst my application is being processed?
- If you are planning to leave the UK at all in the two months following your British Citizenship application you need to be aware that you will be invited to enroll your biometrics at some point in that period. You need to be aware of the fact that you only have 15 days to enroll your biometrics, and failure to do so in the requisite period could result in the rejection of your application
We always welcome feedback and suggestions to improve the quality of our service. If you would like to give us feedback about this service, or make a complaint please:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 0115 841 5554
- Writeto us at
Nottingham Register Office
The Council House
Old Market Square
Alternatively, you may if you wish write directly to:
The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
21 Bloomsbury Street
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...