Seven years of Government austerity has taken a huge bite out of the Council’s finances
Over that time, the money the Government gives us for our day-to-day services has been cut by more than half.
Meanwhile, vulnerable people we need to support are living longer, growing older or, in the case of children, needing more protection. Basic services such as road maintenance and environmental health are under threat.
We have seen harsher funding cuts than some better-off places across the country. Therefore, balancing our books in next year’s council budget is going to be the most difficult and challenging task yet.
We are going to have to make some very tough decisions about the services we provide.
Every year, we ask for your views. Please let us know your views and complete the online survey by Thursday 23 November 2017.
All responses will be entered into a prize draw for the chance to win four tickets to see this year’s panto, Beauty and the Beast, on Tuesday 12 December (7:15pm performance).
We continue to face Budget Pressures like never before
- £14million cut in Government grant to the City Council in 2017/18
- Over the last 5 years we have made savings totalling £137 million
- Over the last five years inflationary, demographic and other budget pressures have meant the Council has had to find an extra £87million
- The number of people aged 65 is projected to increase by 3% by 2019, Currently, 24% of over 65s have one or more long term conditions
- The number of children in care has increased 13.9% since 2012
- By 2019 the number of pupils in our schools is expected to increase by 5,177 or 14%
What We Spend on your Services Each Year
- £104 million: Services to elderly and vulnerable people
- £43 million: Protecting children
- £13 million: Public Transport
- £9 million: Tackling crime and anti-social behaviour
- £5 million: Street Cleaning
- £4 million: Street Lighting
- £4 million: Refuse collection
- £3 million: Job creation
- £2 million: Parks and open spaces
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...