The Nottingham Local Access Forum (LAF) was set up in 2004 under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000. They are a group of local volunteers that meet at least 4 times a year to advise the Council and other bodies on any present or upcoming Rights of Way and public access issues across Nottingham.
Roles and Responsibilities
The roles of the forum include:
- Assessing the extent to which local rights of way network meets the present and likely future needs of the public
- Commenting on opportunities for access to the open spaces within Nottingham and further afield where appropriate
- Commenting on access to places of work, education and local services
- Assisting the Council in developing and implementing its plans and policies
- Delivering improvements to the walking, riding and cycling network
The forum will be consulted on three main topics:
- Implementation and management of access to and through Nottingham
- Changes to the Rights of Way network through development and land use proposals
- Creation and improvement of public access through the Rights of Way Improvement Plan and other relevant plans and policies
In providing advice, the forum must have consideration for:
- Social, economic and environmental interests
- The needs of the different classes of user
- Improving the quality of life for local people
To view the latest annual report please visit the Nottingham Insight website.
In order for the forum to work effectively, it will consist of between 10 to 20 members who will be representative of:
- Users of local rights of way
- Owners and occupiers of access land or land over which rights of way exist
- Any other interests relevant to the area
The initial term of appointment of members will be between 1 to 3 years, however there is the opportunity for the appointment to be renewed. To view the job description and person specification alongside the application form please download the relevant documents.
The LAF must meet at least twice a year, the meetings will be public and advertised in advance and any agendas, reports and minutes will be publicly available. They must elect one of their members to act as the chair during the meetings and a vice-chair to run meetings in the absence of the chair.
Any member of the LAF who has a personal interest related to a matter to be discussed by the forum must disclose the nature of their interest at the meeting. A Secretary will be appointed to provide general administration of the forum, they will also be the main communication point between the forum and the appointing authority.
Members will be entitled to claim any reasonable expenses incurred through attendance at meetings and other activities related to the work of the forum. This includes travel and subsistence costs and any child care costs if necessary.
Dates of meetings in 2017
- Wednesday 11 January 2017
- Wednesday 5 April 2017
- Wednesday 28 June 2017
- Wednesday 18 October 2017
All meetings start at 6.30pm and finish at 8.30pm and are held at Loxley House, Station Street, Nottingham NG2 3NG.
Members of the public are welcome to attend meetings. If you have any questions for the meeting please contact the LAF Secretary on 0115 876 5246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks before the date of the meeting. Members of the public may only speak at a meeting with the approval of the Chair.
Two of the City Councils priorities are to produce a "Healthy Nottingham" and to improve the quality of life of its citizens. Since 2011, the forum has produced a number of self-guided walk leaflets promoting walking routes, public rights of way and local history. To view the leaflets and other walking destinations across Nottingham visit the "Walking in Nottingham" webpage.
Minutes of the Local Access Forum
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...