Share this page
On this site
The Buy With Confidence Scheme
How to find a business or trader that has been approved by Trading Standards and how to become an approved trader.
Are you looking for a reliable, local trader? Buy With Confidence is a list of businesses checked and approved by Trading Standards in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire. You can find gardeners, plumbers, builders, electricians, decorators and many other types of business.
The Buy with Confidence scheme is free to use simply visit www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk type in your postcode and the type of trader you require and you will be given a list to choose from. Alternatively, you can phone Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 08454 040506 for your nearest traders.
Officers from Trading Standards visit and vet every applicant. They are individually checked for trustworthiness and compliance with consumer protection laws, and only if they pass stringent checks are they accepted onto the scheme and can display the Buy With Confidence logo.
And it doesn't stop there. Once a business becomes a member of the scheme they are constantly monitored by Trading Standards to make sure that their standards aren't slipping. Feedback is invited from their customers and re-visits are carried out.
While we cannot guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong, if you have a problem with a member of the scheme they are required to deal with any complaints in a fair and equitable manner. If the complaint cannot be resolved, Trading Standards will attempt to assist in reaching a solution.
The Scheme is being run jointly by Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council Trading Standards services
Download the Buy With Confidence leaflet containing information on managing work on your home.
How to become an approved trader
If you are an honest and reputable trader trading in the Nottinghamshire area, apply to join Buy With Confidence. Show your customers that you are approved by Trading Standards.
We are looking for businesses that are committed to providing a quality service to their customers and are willing to abide by the spirit and letter of the law.
What's in it for businesses?
- Independent recognition of your business standards
- Beneficial publicity
- Proof of membership by certificate and use of logo
- Pre-entry vetting to ensure the credibility of the scheme and that high standards are maintained
- Your company's name on a list held by Citizens Advice Consumer Service to recommend to consumers
- A place on the Buy With Confidence website with a 'hyperlink' to your own site for potential customers
- Increased customer confidence and reduced complaints
- A better relationship with regulators based on co-operation rather than enforcement
- A named contact for your business with the Trading Standards service
- Information on new legislation and trade scams etc.
What will it cost?
The fee for membership depends on the number of employees:
- 1-5 employees: £83.33 per premises excluding VAT
- 6-15 employees: £166.67 per premises excluding VAT
- 16+ employees: £250.00 per premises excluding VAT
- Non refundable application fee £83.33 per premises excluding VAT
How to apply
The scheme is run by the Trading Standards services of Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council.
For an informal discussion, contact the Buy With Confidence team on 01623 452005 or email: email@example.com
Before you apply, please read the requirements of the scheme. You can find these on the Buy With Confidence website, or contact the team as above.
To apply, fill in the online application form on the Buy With Confidence website, or ask the team to send you an application form.