Clifton Central Park
Clifton Central Park, also known locally as 'Flower Park', is situated behind Clifton Leisure Centre. An attractive park with flower beds and wooded areas.
The Park forms a direct link from the centre of Clifton through to Clifton Playing Fields. The Council is in the process of working with local residents to improve the park, with one of the improvements being an outdoor gym.
Clifton Central Park was laid out as part of the large urban development constructed by the City of Nottingham in the wake of the City's severe post war housing shortage. This led to the construction of over 5,500 new properties to the south of the city on land purchased from the Clifton family that had previously fallen within the boundaries of Rushcliffe Borough Council.
It was recognised from the outset that the provision of open space for sport and recreation would be required within a residential development of the scale of the Clifton Estate.
Construction of the residential development commenced in 1952 and the laying out of the first areas of open space was started soon after; two major parks (Clifton Central Park and Clifton Playing Fields) were planned as well as numerous smaller local open spaces and play areas that were to be contained within the various neighbourhoods.
Clifton Central Park, was laid out with a very different character to Clifton Playing Fields aimed at catering for a different set of needs. The Central Park is located near to Clifton's main district centre and was consequently laid out with annual bedding, shrub beds, rose beds and tree lined walks rather than with any dedicated sport or recreational facilities.